Halls or not halls?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
My son has just finished his first year. He lived in a shared flat within a dedicated purpose built student block, privately owned. Utilities were included and it was very secure, with a concierge, and pass-operated entry. Now he has moved into a shared flat in a private house. It will be a lot cheaper, even though they will have to pay utility bills separately, but not as secure. Not sure if it's a good move or not from my point of view. From his, he will be more 'in the swing' of city life, but to me that is a double edged sword!! Any parents got views? Any students got experiences, of 'halls' versus non-halls???

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
We have been through the same experience with our son. After (!) they moved into the private rented house in his second year his group found out the cost of heating was exorbitant - it was included before in his halls. They decided not to use heating as a result - resulting in a miserable experience. It was a self-imposed decision, but the common option available.
The rental agreement was considerably 'tighter' than the halls, regarding notice period and other conditions - which added to the extra cost. The internet provision was only a normal residential wireless network - which slowed considerably when several of the students were using it. The halls had obviously a better intranet/internet facility.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
Financially there's no question - moderately priced halls are cheaper and better value. However, the social experience is different, and young people having to be responsible for paying for what they consume is a good lesson in responsibility, so there are other factors.

Some halls also charge extra for things like washing and broadband internet and so on which have to be factored into your calculation but nonetheless it pretty much always works out cheaper.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Personally, I stayed in houses the whole time through uni, but then I would have never enjoyed the halls experience - it's just not my 'scene'. So that's very much a personal thing.

I enjoyed the independence I got from day one. We too had the 'cost of heating' disaster, but that was because I lived with some idiots in my first property (I moved out in December) who had always lived under the bank of Mum and Dad and didn't realise that leaving the heating on full blast all day would incur a huge bill.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I'm not sure I really benefitted from my first year in halls although I think they are probably a great place to get more involved in student life - i.e notices posted in communal areas of events going on/oppportunities, etc. Very definitely cheaper and more secure than houses/flats but, for me, I would go for the house share every time. It's your first real opportunity to live independently and be responsible for all those grown up things like utilities bills, etc!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
When I started my course I did find that most people knew each other from the halls and it was hard to break into the cliques that had already formed (and as I had a large course I was with different people for practically every seminar). But I still know I would have found it hard to enjoy living in halls.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
Cliques can form quickly at university regardless of whether you're in halls or not. I'm not in anyway trying to suggest you're antisocial or a weirdo, Chutz, just saying that such problems can affect pretty much everyone.

One of the things I did like about the halls I was in was that it wasn't based around a self-contained flat system like most, but a network of corridors along 6 floors. As such, you could get from any given room to any other, door to door, without going outside.

The problem of this is it meant any fool could walk past your door at 6 a.m. and tear down your anti-war poster, resulting in you having to get out of bed and chase them away with a bottle of bleach.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
BigTom, don't take this the wrong way - but you're scaring me with your descriptions of walking around corridors for days on end and never seeing daylight! :)

ThriftyDave

Jul 12, 2010
Devon
www.illustrationbooth.com
I was quite lucky with my halls. Entering university aged 21 after working for 3 years I was worried that I'd be stuck with a bunch of immature young whippersnappers, but I ended up being the youngest in my flat of 8.

Whoever decides who lives where in halls, at least at Portsmouth University where I studied, obviously takes care to ensure that similar people get grouped together. I guess they look at ages, interests etc. to ensure a harmonius union.

I really enjoyed my time in halls, despite the 30 minute bus journey to reach the main campus. It was cost effective, the atmosphere was great and I liked my flatmates so much I ended up sharing a house with 4 of them for the remaining two years if my degree :)