Car maintenance skills

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
When I first met my DH, he was a non-driver and not interested in cars at all. I was a driver, and my father had always done a lot of his own maintenance. I took an evening class in the basics and it has been a Godsend. Although DH is now a driver, he is still not by any stretch of the imagination a mechanic!
Even if you have AA/RAC type cover, you could save yourself time and hassle by learning two essential skills - tyre changing, and battery charging. They are simple, if grubby, tasks - both of which I have employed this week. I came out of a supermarket and noticed I had a flat. Just got on with it. I was shocked at the three women who came up to me, two to express disbelief that I could do it, and one to ask me if I wanted to use her mobile to phone my husband!!! Made me ashamed to be a woman, but proud to be the woman I am!!
Weirdly, both I and DH left our keys in the ignition this week (we live very very rurally, and neither of us have done this before in 20 years!!) Whatever was in the stars that made us both do this, I am soooooooo glad we have a battery charger as we were both on our way within 90 mins, no problem! (apart from a low lying anxiety about the alternators)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Funnily enough I just turned around to my husband this week and said that he ought to show me how to change a tyre. Well done you for going on a course. I think that's great.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
My wife doesn't drive and she can change a tyre. She had to do it for me once when I was in my (very expensive) work suit.

(Before you ask, yes, I can change a tyre too, and have done it in anger)

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Tyres? batteries, you lightweights, I replaced my starter motor on the day of my driving test, and then went on to pass!!!

I have replaced radiators, rebuilt entire panels on my rust buckets and once changed a head gasket coz I was too skint to take the car to a mechanic (not something I would recommend).

These skills are just about the only good thing to come out of my first marriage - oh and my son of course!!!!!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Well done Witchconsumer - I am very impressed. I remember my father boring pistons in my old MkII Cortina, and I was impressed then too! I used to do a lot more, but no longer have an indoor space in which to potter, and as it never seems to stop raining in Wales, I will stick to my crisis management skills! Did find Dad's old torque wrench t'other day though and have hung on to it, so who knows..........

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I hate to admit it, but I am useless. I tend to rely on my partner, who's brilliant when it comes to car maintenance and repairs. It's rare that we've needed to pay for a repair over 20 years of driving which has saved us a small fortune.

Congratulations, Witch Consumer on replacing your starter motor on the day of your test and then passing. My daughter's car was broken in to the day before her test. They got in to the car by bending back the passenger door, and then tried to hot wire it but couldn't start it because of the immobiliser. The ignition was also smashed. It was bad enough dealing with having the car broken in to without the mad rush to get it repaired that day. All went well, the car was repaired and she passed. It was her 5th test.