A gloomy question - what happens if I die ...

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
does my husband have to pay (and so find out) about any secret debt I may have or is it written off with my demise?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
If your debts are in your name only, your spouse will not be liable. Your own assets, if you have any, will be used by the executor to pay off debts, so in that way your husband might 'find out'. I hope this post doesn't stem from any terribly dark thoughts as money is only ever of illusory significance, and life itself is full of tomorrows of change and possibility that transform and erase todays worries.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks for the lovely thoughts Georginazn. No, don't worry. I am having far too much fun and am far too terrified of what lies over on the other side to ever think of doing anything awful. You are absolutely right, money should never ever be a reason for ending anything but so many people do end up feeling suicidal over being in debt.

No, I just want reassurance that my lovely husband won't be cross as well as sad if anything horrible ever happened to me. But I'm still hoping that in one years' time everything will have sorted itself out anyway. I am trying very hard!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I tell myself the same thing Rachelle. One more year and money will be better. I've been saying it for quite a few years though. All we can do is keep plodding along, paying our bills, stretching our money as far as possible and staying optimistic.

G_M

Feb 1, 2009
Do you have a will and who is/are the executer(s)? If your hubby is executer, he's pretty bound to find out. Likewise probobly if he's the beneficiary (he might wonder why he's inheriting so little after the executer has paid off your debts from your estate.)

But if your estate has £0 (ie you have no savings, property, possessions of value etc), then the debt cannot be paid (neither hubby nor anyone else is liable if the debt is in your sole name) and it will be written off.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Sorry, I've only just found your answer! Thanks very much for replying. Hmmm. I will just keep on hoping that I have paid everything off by the time I keel over.