Must take insurance !!!

red

Aug 22, 2008
I have a samsung g600 phone which has been useless. Comeback sony K750i all is forgiven.

My samsung has been returned 3times now. The last time orange informed me that as it was now over 6mths old they would replace though it was essential that i must take insurance for at least 4mths on this 'new' phone. Incidentally, they dont replace with brand new only re-conditioned.

I queried this over and over and they scrapped the insurance set up fee, though insisted that i pay £6/mth insurance. Are they really allowed to do this?

As the phone was less than a year old should they not of just replaced.

Nicola

Facilitator
Insurance for your phone is not compulsory and you should complain to the head office to the company in question. If you get no joy there, try the appropriate ombudsman. Also, your phone should be guaranteed for a year and you should have had this repaced for free.

It is possible to get phone insurance through various bank accounts (Lloyds TSB for example).

Good luck with this.

red

Aug 22, 2008
I was told as it was over 6mths orange would only replace with insurance in place. I could have returned it to samsung though the turnaround time was about 3wks.

To be honest ive signed now and they have an extra £24 from me, though will cancel phone contract when fininshed and never buy a samsung again

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Red,

When a product is less than six months the retailer has to prove that the item is not faulty, after six months and within six years you have to prove that it is faulty and it is affecting your enjoyment.

It is nothing to do with Samsung - the retailer is liable under the Sale of Goods Act not the manufacturer - this is a common ploy.

If you can prove that it has a fault then they can choose to repair it rather than replace it. This guide wll be of use:

Returning Faulty or Damaged Goods | Consumer Information

The insurance policy you signed up to will have a cooling off period and you could cancel it.

Hope this helps

Tony

red

Aug 22, 2008
Hi Red,

When a product is less than six months the retailer has to prove that the item is not faulty, after six months and within six years you have to prove that it is faulty and it is affecting your enjoyment.

It is nothing to do with Samsung - the retailer is liable under the Sale of Goods Act not the manufacturer - this is a common ploy.

If you can prove that it has a fault then they can choose to repair it rather than replace it. This guide wll be of use:

Returning Faulty or Damaged Goods | Consumer Information

The insurance policy you signed up to will have a cooling off period and you could cancel it.

Hope this helps

Tony
Thanks tony.

I may well do this. What could they do, ask for the phone back - cant see it.