Carpet Cleaner

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
My carpets are getting the worse for wear and if I am still thinking seriously about renting my house and moving somewhere else then it's time for a clean. Should I just get somebody to come in and do it for me or should I hire one of those carpet cleaning machines and do it myself. Has anybody else done this? Do they work? I'm getting quite excited at the thought of having clean carpets once again. (At least for a little while until the next mishap!).

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Yes, they work well. Ensure that the hiring company demonstrate the machine to you, and let you use it. There is a technique to doing so, which with the rotary machines takes about 5 minutes to learn and is easy. Without the demonstration it will be too frustrating for many people.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I've never hired a carpet cleaner but I've heard that they are very good, and cost effective if you have quite a few carpeted areas to clean. I had a self employed carpet cleaner in a few years ago to clean one carpet and my sofa, and they came up like new, and were dry within a few hours.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
There are two basic types - injection/extraction and rotary. Rotary is best for short pile carpets and big areas. They can make a great difference to dirty carpets, brings up the original colours and cleaning right through. Injection/extraction are great for smaller areas and also work well for sofas, furniture, etc.
Steam cleaners are good, but have to be used with care, as different materials act in different ways.
All of these machines can be used by anybody, with very little training and experience.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
As a rental property expert, I have had to clean the carpets on several occasions. Only once did I use a professional cleaner, and that was because the contract insisted on it (oddly enough, you had to use the services of a certain company and that company only... I wonder why)

The rest of the time I have hired a Rug Doctor from B&Q. Always given us great results.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks for this all of you. I'm going to go and take a look at Rug Doctor - great name!