Cars have certainly improved!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Recently I saw an old Morris Minor 1000. It looked as though it was still used as a normal vehicle.
Memories flooded about what a reliable old workhorse it had been for my parents, my first driving lesson, and all that.
Then I remembered what a slow, noisy rusty old thing it really had been. A crash 1 st gear. The heater as an optional extra. Cranking it over on a cold morning "to save the battery" as my father insisted. The memories were not really all that great.
Modern cars are so much better.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I agree that modern cars run better and are more reliable, but I wonder how they will stand the test of time. There are a lot of 20+ year old cars on the roads, but could the cars that are built today last for that long?

We have a 1966 Morris Minor 1000 (pics on my profile) which we brought a few months back and are attempting to restore to it's former glory. It's crazy to see how minimal they actually are. The dashboard has a speedo, a manual choke and a light switch with one setting. That's about it. My partner loves tinkering around with old vehicles and he knows his stuff when it comes to mechanics, but he would probably struggle with repairing a lot of the cars built today. A lot has changed with more cars being powered by chips and electrics instead of old fashioned mechanics.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Agreed. Old cars were meant to last. The most reliable and long lasting was supposed to be Volvo - with good reason. Then Volvo realised that few people who paid that much for a car really wanted to keep them for 20 years, they then changed their marketing into emphasising reliability as opposed to long-lasting.
As for the Morris Minor - the first car I drove. It certainly was a simple little thing in many ways.