Chip fat turned into diesel

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Did anybody else see this programme tonight? A man converted chip fat oil that he picked up from his local chipppie and converted it into diesel. I remember my father talking about this a few years ago but I thought he was nuts. Does anybody else out there do this? I have a few local chippies near me and my car takes diesel - I must be on to a winner?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I didn't see the programme, but I have spoken to a guy before who reckoned he ran his car on chip fat oil (half diesel, half chip fat oil, from what I can remember). I would imagine this causing a lot of fumes. Is it even legal? Also, would using chip fat oil cause any damage to a vehicle if used constantly?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I don't think you have to convert all diesel engines will work on vegetable oil. It is legal, there is also bio diesel

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Is Bio Diesel what you can convert your car into for the cost of about one thousand pounds. An expensive outlay but one that appears to be worth it? On the same programme a lady had converted her car to bio-fuel. I think all these things are really worth it but just tend to be things that we never think of. There were also tips on keeping your ac turned down, not having an overloaded boot, keeping your tyres pumped up and remembering not to accelerate or break too heavily. All of these were contributing factors to heavy fuel consumption.