Dell battery failure/warranty

tonkykong

Jul 25, 2009
Hello

In September 2007 I bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with the 2 year hardware warranty.

In September 2008 (10 days before the first 12 months was up) the battery failed and Dell supplied a replacement free of charge.

Just over 10 months later, the replacement is starting to fail and I get the " battery at end of usable life message again".

No problem I think, I'm still covered by the 2 year hardware warranty AND the replacement battery should still be under it's original 12 month guarantee.

WRONG ! - Dell's tech support first tried to tell me that replacement batteries have no warranty at all, but after I kicked off with customer services, the story is now that replacement batteries have a 3 month warranty.

So - in summary. If I buy a replacement battery it comes with a 12 month guarantee, but if Dell supply that replacement battery under warranty, it only comes with a secret 3 month warranty that they don't tell you about.

Obviously I think I'm being stiffed - is this really Dell's policy ?

If I can't get Dell to pony up a free replacement, could someone recommend a company that supplies safe and reliable battery packs because Dell can get stuffed if they think I'm paying £125 for a replacement battery.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
They can do what they want with warranties, but they can't rewrite the law. You can make a claim under the sale of goods act for upto 6 years (5 Scotland). I have had several laptops and the batteries have always lasted a good few years. they may not hold their charge as well, but they work.