Criminal Records Bureau Checks - Why so slow?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
The industry I work in requires all employees to have a criminal records bureau (CRB) check before they can start employment. At the moment these checks are taking an average of 2 - 4 months to be processed by outside agencies. I find this unacceptable, and know that many people are suffering massive financial strain having to wait months before they can start a job they have been offered. Complaining does no good at all. I just cannot understand why these checks take so long, or why nothing is being done about speeding up the process.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I suspect it's a shortage of manpower to carry out the checks, it's ok coming up with bright ideas like this but the money has to be there to ensure it runs properly.

What seems really ridiculous is the sort of situation my friend was in, as a parent helper in her daughters school, she had a CRB check then applied for the post of school secretary at the same school and had to wait while they did another one - I suppose thats the sort of crazy situation that delays things.

andersonsophie_89

Apr 26, 2014
Hi

Does anyone know how long a criminal record stay on someones criminal record report for?

Is there certain crimes that stays on the record for life?

Regards

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If you want to find out what information is held on you, send a Subject Access Request to your local police station, it will cost you £10 and you need to send ID in with the request. They have to respond with all the information held nationally within 40 days. As far as know all crimes committed as an adult (excluding motoring offences) stay on record for life, but I could be wrong.

Find out how to request your personal information | ICO