My problem fish tank, advice would be great thanks...

TomB86

Jul 26, 2009
I recently bought my partner a fish tank from the local garden centre in Grimsby. It was bought as a gift and was quite expensive at £350. Three weeks later we've had nothing but problems with it.

A member of staff delivered the tank and installed the pump. We left the tank to set up as the centre staff instructed. We transferred all the fish from our older and smaller tank into the new one, and since then they've nearly all died, resulting in us losing over £100 worth of fish. After two weeks and half our fish dying the guy came back out to us and tested our water and said it was our fault they'd died.

However we'd complained because the pump supplied with the tank clearly states in the manufacturors guide that it's for a tank of upto 150 litres, which is fine except they've installed it in our 200 litre tank. So therefore it's not cleaning our water thoroughly.

After ringing again and complaining to the manager this time, all they've offered to do is try a new higher spec pump and reimburse us with £20 worth of fish.

Are we entitled to our money back on the tank, even if it's only the pump thats not upto standard? We really have just had enough of the whole sorry mess and want to basically take what fish we still have alive and put them safely back in our smaller tank seen as theres no longer that many of them.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Probably not, but you could claim the cost of a pump that is fit for purpose and £100 worth of fish.