It is a problem getting a job, at 50 plus.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
The law is simple - no discrimination.
Reality is different. Companies will choose the best person, in their opinion, for the position which is required to be done.
In many cases a company will consider a c.v. and think that a person has "too much exposure to that level of position", or somesuch.
The result is that older people are not hired, younger people who do not have the knowledge of working are employed.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
A friend of mine worked at EFA and, while the work they do is brilliant, they really do have a long way to go in educating companies, etc. We live in a culture where age is viewed as a negative rather than a positive. Until our overall attitude to age and aging changes and we stop putting twelve year old girls in walkways and magazine tearsheets then I think the likes of you and I will always find it harder to get a job than those who are younger than us.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Like many things, there is a lot of talk and few real actions. The best thing would be a bunch of research on the financial results for a company of hiring people in different age groups for different jobs. Aspects to include would be total costs over a long term period including all aspects of employments - hiring, reliability, maternity leave, etc.
However, it would probably result in something which would sound too discrimination orientainted to be published.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
There was a suggestion not too long ago to make it illegal to insist on the age being on a CV/application form. I always thought this was pointless as they could make an educated guess based on your qualifications and work history.

Nov 23, 2011
The original question was whether it is difficult/more difficult to get a job if over 50.
Short answer - yes. That doesn't mean impossible, but certainly 'challenging'!

Pixie84

Jan 9, 2012
It can be a little daunting or challenging finding new jobs for over 50s or even starting up a new business venture or career path! Best advice I can give is if you are finding it a little daunting, do your research get tips and advice on best job seeking tips for the over 50s, a lot of the online magazines ie. The Telegraph and over 50s magazine Giddy limits - have some interesting reads...

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
The same goes for disabled persons, regardless of the discrimination Act, or that a disabled person by law MUST be given an interview. It still doesn't happen.
I feel that those with a mental disability suffer quite badly, due to their mental state, some employers seem them as 'too much hard work' due to some support or guidance being required.
And with some mental disabilities come physical problems, whereby the person may only stand up for 2 hours a day, or would be tired within 3 hours of work, due to travelling to work too.. And employers wouldn't then bother, as they'd want someone to stand for a 8 hour shift in a store..

Oh well, rant over

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It's very short-sighted of employers to take on a younger person over a 50-something, if I was looking for another job now (at 50-something) I think I'd be looking for something to see me through to retirement (whenever that may be) whereas in my first 20 years of employment I worked for 32 companies, I did agency work so if I didn't like something I just upped and left, many people take time to find their niche or a job they're happy with so 15-17 years is pretty good I'd say.