TomTom sat navs

Goldenoldie

Jul 26, 2009
Hi,I have owned my one xl now for some 11 months.Recently I tried to "upgrade" online.Unfortunately somehow I lost all the info.I contacted the shop "currys" who said they dont handle the warranty and they gave me an 0845 number,after 20 minutes the operator/technician had to pass my query on to his "second line" .To cut a long story short.after 4 dats and 12 e-mails back and forth,tom tom now tellme that as its a software problem which isnt covered by the warranty apparently,I now have to pay for the new maos as I failed to carry out the "recommended" backup.I cant find the afore mentioned "recommended back up " notation in the manual.When I connected the device to my computer to upgrade I didnt get any indication that I should carry out a recommended back up first,in fact their website took over and updated my device as soon as I logged it on.What I need to know are the following,
1)Are "curry's" the seller who I bought it from my first line of recompense?
2) Is the exclusion of "the software" (supplied and preinstalled) legal in the uk?
3) If they recommend a backup as soon as you log on,shouldnt this be highly visible,either in the instruction book or on screen when you log on?

All I really want is my sat nav working again but tomtom's call center seem adamant that I must purchase the "missing maps" to operate on the unit even though the actual operating system seems to be working ok according to them.

Is a contract written in the handbook,which excludes "software problems" unfair to we the consumers?
many thanks for any comments
charles

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi, yes you need to take your complaint to Curry's as you bought it from them not TomTom. You will be covered by the sale of goods act. More later...

Goldenoldie

Jul 26, 2009
Update no goer

Well i took the unit back to beloved currys and was politely but firmly told that they could not/would not do anyt hing as the warranty was provided by tom tom not curry's.As tom tom had said it was a software issue,they (curry's could no nothing more.
not a happy bunny here:(

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You need to write a letter of complaint or send an e-mail. Basically, you are arguing that your statutory rights have been breached as the item and instructions were not of satisfactory quality and as a consequence you didn't make a backup. You need to ask them to repair the item. Your statutory rights are defined in the Sale of Goods Act - Sale of Goods Act | Consumer Information

Goldenoldie

Jul 26, 2009
Curry's stand firm

Well I wrote the e-mail saying my righys as a consumer had been breached and under the sale of goods stating that Currys not Tom Tom are the company that I have recourse on,I politely asked that Curry's arrange a repair to my sat nav as I had been deprived of using it for some 20 days and as the warranty was due to expire on the 18 th time is of the essence.

I had a reply back stating that curry's had spoken to tom tom who insist that there is no problem with the device and it is a software problem.Tom tom do not consider software faults under warranty.As such my only option is to buy new maps from Tom Tom.
The person accepted that this was not the outcome to my complaint I was looking for but Curry's can do nothing as the warranty is with Tom tom,not Curry's
What a load of wasters.I need my sat nav so i bought the new maps,guess what the machine wont load them!!!!!
Think I'll just chuck the thing away and go back to map reading

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The software 'guarantee' issue has be proven in a court case, I'll have to see if I can find the details.

The case I'm thinking of was software that didn't work on a PC and the vendor claiming the machine was unsuitable for the software rather than the other way round. The customer won the case, the judge deciding that software was a consumer product like any other, given that TomTom provide the software for their satnavs I would guess they wouldn't have a leg to stand on!!

I suggest you give the TomTom back to Curry's and ask them rectify the problem, if they have to send it back to the manufacturer, so be it.

As Tony says, the guarantee lies with Currys, if you're going to throw it in the bin, send it to me instead!!!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
]given that TomTom provide the software for their satnavs I would guess they wouldn't have a leg to stand on!!
Exactly, and for them to argue they can't help with a software problem when it's only their software that can work on their units is nonsensical.

Simply put, pull the other one Tom Tom!