Camera Faults

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
I bought a camera (Canon IXUS 82IS) exactly 5 months ago and unfortunately it has developed a fault.

I've done a little research on the fault 'lens error' or 'e18' and discovered that this is a well known, very common problem with two ranges of cameras that Canon produce, unfortunately mine being one of them. In fact its so well known there's a wiki page, numerous dedicated websites and self repair guides.

My camera is obviously under warranty so my wife visited the store today, and tried to persuade them to exchange it for a different make, because everything we have read indicates that the problem is re-occurent, and becomes very expensive after the manufacturer warranty expires.

I believe however, reading your site that they are perfectly entitled to repair the camera the first time and I can't ask for a re-fund as yet. One of the things I noticed however is the following line from the website : " It is for this reason you are given a replacement item while the one you bought is being fixed". Can I just confirm that this means they are obligated to provide me with a replacement while that camera is being fixed? As I am about to go on holiday I am very eager to have a camera handy and I don't have any others.

I can't actually locate an actual sales of good act document. If the previous is true, could someone quote the section that describes this so I can quote it in the store when I attempt to get an initial repair?

Once I have had the repair done, I believe this should last a reasonable time (I have had suggested to me 6 years). If this is not the case, then does the fact that I reported the fault within the first 6 months then automatically mean I am entitled to a replacement? Or would they consider this from the time of repair?

Thanks for your help. I shall leave feedback as this progresses, hopefully it will be beneficial to someone.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Rejecting Faulty Camera

It is section 48b:

48BRepair or replacement of the goods

(1)If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller—

(a)to repair the goods, or

(b)to replace the goods.

(2)If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—

(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).
However, I think you will struggle to get a loan camera.

The Sale of Goods states that you have six years to make a claim. It doesn't guarantee an item for six years. It depends on the nature of the item, price paid etc.

You could try to reject the camera, which is hard. You would be doing this on the grounds of quality and the fact your don't have any confidence in the retailer effecting a repair given what you have read on the web. The amount of time you have had the camera will not help as they will claim you have "accepted it".

I am writing in connection with the purchase of a Canon Ixus camera purchased from you on 27/02/09 for £300/

On 27/07/09 the camera developed an "e18" fault that is being reported by many owners of this camera on the web. The fact that the item showed this fault within 5 months of purchase demonstrates that it was inherently faulty at the time of purchase and because of the reports I have read I have not confidence in your effecting a repair.

In accordance with my statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended), i.e. that goods be of satisfactory quality. I am writing to advise you that I am rejecting the goods and wish to claim a full refund.

Please note that I am choosing to claim under my statutory rights as outlined above. These rights will be totally unaffected by any additional rights I may have under a manufacturer’s warranty.

I look forward to hearing from you within the next fourteen days with your arrangements for my refund.

Yours faithfully,

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Best bet then would be to allow them to attempt a repair, and if the fault re-occurs then ask for a refund/replacement...? This is what a lady at consumer direct suggested, I just wanted to see if there were any other options to try and avoid us not having a camera for our holidays.

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Thanks for the help thus far Tony. Popped in yesterday to get it repaired (and got a refund on the spare battery I bought, thought there was no point having it just in case the camera does break again).

Also managed to get a sympathy vote so they're attempting to get me a replacement camera for my holiday which is brownie points for them.