estimated gas reading V true meter reading, help, pls,,,

rob70

Jul 28, 2009
guys good day all,regarding home gas bill,
if estimated meter reading appears to be significantly lower then the effective and true one, what someone shoud do??
the gas supplier, i.e. british gas says that this should be notified to them so they can adjust the balance.
my Q, is does anyone know any way to bypass that?? certainly no one would like to be slammed with a gigantic bill out of the blue and all of a sudden!!
i mean is there any way to work it around ??i mean , once someone had disclosed the effective reading what are the compomises they can arrange and work out with their gas provider to lower the bill or to wave part of it??
i ve heard for example stories that people agree to switch to a pre-pay meter instead, but my Q is, are they still obliged to pay for whatever balance is generated after the disclosure of the true meter reading??thanks in advance, would appreciate a meaningful reply

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Seems like you have a problem which is better sorted out than trying to forget about it.
Most utility companies will understand that a debt can be built up easily, and will not force prompt payment of the all the outstanding amount - unless they think that there is no intention to pay.
The gas company is entitled to their payment, they will require it to be paid. They will, almost certainly, agree to you paying a regular amount which is more than your average consumption. Over a time period you will thus pay your actual consumption, plus paying back the outstanding amount.
As for 'forgetting' the outstanding bill, that is unlikely and unjust. They have supplied the goods at the agreed price, the bill has to be paid by you - if not, eventually other people will have to pay your bill.
Utility companies will try and work out a payment method suitable and practical for their clients. Switching to a different meter method may be more practical in your situation, but the outstanding bill will still need to be paid.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I've experienced this myself, i recently started looking after my frail, elderly grandfather, and discovered that he had been paying £50 per month for gas, and £10 per month for electric. For 15 months had not had his meteras read, so when his bills came and i read them and realised they was very wrong I contacted the company with the correct readings - they sent someone to verify the readings i'd given ... new bills were produced ... the electric bill was over £1,000 and the gas bill over £800 in credit.

This particular company refused to accept any of the blame, as my eldery grandfather should have contacted them to tell them the bill was wrong, even though he has dementia, and clearly has no idea what the reading on his gas/electric bill is, and if its correct or not.

They insisted on the £1,000 payment in full. Getting the £800 refund was a nightmare, the £1,000 left my grandad's account on the thursday, and two weeks later the same company refunded his £800 over payment.

Expecting them to do that I contacted the company about the gas bill credit first, hoping they would simply transfer the balance or arrange for the payments in and out of his account on the same day.

Now his monthly gas bill is £20 and electric is £75, because the energy company insist that he uses more now than he used too ... even though the last winter was the coldest and longest for 20 years, and the price of gas and electricity was at its highest.

It seems to me, that in this case they wanted their money, and would not accept any responsibility for checking the meters, interestingly since I complained to them, the meters are being read monthly instead of six monthly attempts ... hopefully they'll get the bills sorted soon, avaoiding large debts and large credits.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Does anyone remember the days of good customer service from utility companies, when the meter reader used to come out on a regular basis then you got a bill, and it was accurate and reasonable then you got a red bill, then a fortnight to pay that?

Oh yes the utilities were nationalised then not driven by dividends for shareholders and huge wages and bonuses for directors, silly me!!!!

But back to your point, you need to either contact the gas company to arrange a payment plan or make higher monthly payments yourself so when they do come to read your meter, the problem may be a bit smaller.

I refuse to pay either my gas or electric by direct debit, i read my own meters monthly and pay according to my use.