Samsung TV has broken within 20 months of purchase

Lizzybeans

Jul 28, 2009
My Parents purchased a Samsung TV - 23" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview in November 2007. A few weeks ago it started changing channels on its own and is completely unwatchable. We contacted Amazon who the TV was purcahsed from and they have said it it nothing to do with them, the EU regs do not apply as it did not go wrong in the first 6 months and the Sales of Goods Act does not apply as it was not defective on purchase.

My argument is that a TV should be durable and should be expected to last longer than 20 months.

They have suggested we contact Samsung who have said they will send an engineer at a cost to us of £90 with no guarantee that they will be able to fix it.

We wrote back to Amazon again to ask about the durability point under the sale of goods act and they have again said the following:

We will not be offering you replacement, refund or a sum towards any repair costs for the product as the product was ok in the first 6 months and it is now beyond the 1 year warranty.

Help.....my parents cant afford a new TV and no one will help !!

Thank you

Liz

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Based on what I've read from other posts, they're jumping the gun a little. First they need to give you the opportunity to prove that the TV hasn't been used properly, and therefore needs to be checked out by an independent engineer.

I believe that Amazon have to be happy with the person carrying out this check (other people should be able to confirm that), and that if its decided that it has not been through misuse then Amazon are responsible for repairing or replacing it, and refunding the cost of the engineer check.

It's not that they have 6 months where they have to cover you for faults, its that you have 6 months where you have favour on your side, that the assumption is that the goods were faulty on purchase and they have to prove otherwise. After this time you have to prove that they haven't been used improperly.