Do I need permission to convert a loft?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Do I need planning permission (or anything else) to convert a loft. I'm sure I've read somewhere that if the space is below a certain size then I can just go ahead and convert. Does anybody have any knowledge of the rules of converting a loft space?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Due the planning regulations for loft conversions relating to rafter thickness and access/egress you do need planning permission. You may also need permission to put in a skylight/dormer, check with your council.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I'm still unsure at this stage what to do with the loft. Initially, I just wanted to board it out for extra storage space, but I am now considering going further with the conversion because I hope to move sell up in a couple of years and think a full loft conversion would make the house more saleable, and hopefully increase the sale price.

hip-consultant.co.uk

Premium Member
Mar 13, 2009
www.hip-consultant.co.uk
It is essential to check with local planning and building regs departments.

If the correct applications are not approved you may well find yourself with an illegal conversion which may cause many problems when you come to sell the property.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
We had problems after putting up a conservatory without checking with anyone first. It then became a real rush job to get post approval as our flat was being sold. Nearly lost the sale because of it so I would thoroughly recommend doing everything by the book. Shortcuts don't pay!

millitant

Aug 29, 2012
From sad experience you not only legally have to have Building Regs but at least check it's a reputable company and NEVER pay cash!!!

wentworthfs

Oct 10, 2012
Yes planning permission and building regs are required for all renovations regarding bedrooms. Fire and safety issues for one, you need to make sure a fire engine can get to the windows to rescue people from the room should there be a fire blocking the main stairway.