Clamping

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
While out shopping the other day I saw a couple park their car on the carpet store car park across the road and then head in the direction of the town. Two men then got out of a van and clamped the car. I know that someone has to do it, but how do they sleep at night?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
They are lucky many will simply tow the car and the charges are much higher - £400 in London. If you park on private land and they have put up a notice then they are within the law. The problem is the notices are not always obvious.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
As usual, I have to be controversial on this subject and stick up for the business.

It's their land, and when parking is at a premium it's frustrating for their customers not to be able to park. I've been there with people parking at our premises and then disappearing.

We didn't use clampers, we used one of the companies that will trace the drivers through the DVLA. We had to take a picture of the car and send them the details, and it was up to the owner of the car to prove that they were using our premises legitimately if they wished to challenge it (easy for us as all our customers had to members).

One of the great things of this service was you could drop your action at no cost at any part of the process if fresh evidence came to light.

We had to put signs in the car park and at all exits warning of the fine for parking on our site without being a customer, if a company does this I think they should be allowed to charge what they like.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
If you didn't use clampers how did you stop them just driving off?

I think it is fair enough as long as the charges are reasonable and the signs visible - imagine if you needed an emergency toilet stop, parked illegally and got back to the car to find a million pound fine.

Tony

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
That's why you took the photo. It proved that they were using our property, and they then had to provide a defence for using it that met the terms and conditions.

Basically, if they refused to pay it was taken to the small claims court.

I think our fine was around £40. Justified in my opinion when it's the actual customers that are paying the staffs' wages, not someone using it as a free car park.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
How many people actually paid because I think most of these companies won't bother with the claim - too much effort

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Every single one. The company we used were only in business to provide this service.

I've remembered the name of the company we used, it was Parkforce.

It was really easy, pay an upfront fee for the signage and then no ongoing costs. The company insist you place the signs in prominent places around the car park (so one is visible from a distance wherever you park) and then one on EVERY exit, including footpaths. They are large with white lettering on a red background, trust me, you cannot miss them (they have an example on their site).

We then got whoever was on the front desk to keep an eye out for people parking and walking off, we would always put a courtesy note on their car first, record their registration number and then only if they parked there again put a fine notice on their car and take a photo.

Once you sent off the paperwork you didn't have to do a thing, the company did it all for you, we would just get our "slice" (for want of a better word) in the post when the offender paid up.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Should also mention what the Sainsburys in Bath have. They have electronic sensors in each bay that monitor when you arrive and when you leave (they even have a sign at the entrance to the car park to inform you how many of each type of bay they have left).

The signage states that the car park is for customers of Sainsburys only, and for a maximum of 90 minutes. You'll usually see a parking attendant milling around looking bored ready to take registration numbers down.

I will admit to quickly walking into town to get something (parking in Bath is extortionate), but only if I am doing a quick shop in the supermarket as well. The sign doesn't say anything about using the car park exclusively for Sainsburys, but who knows, one day I might get fined for doing this. I would seek some quick legal advice if I was, but would half-expect that I would have to stump up the cash.

I always keep my receipt just in case. I figured that if I was to get a demand to pay a fine in the post I would simply produce that to show I was shopping at that point in time. I'm sure they wouldn't be able to prove I walked into town.....