Selling old jewellery

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I have quite a lot of old costume jewellery. Some modern, some from the 80s and some dating back to my Gran's day. I thought of putting it all up for sale on eBay, some as individual pieces and others as job lots. I am just wondering whether eBay is the best place to try and sell, as their listing fees are high and there is a lot of competition, or is there any other website anybody could recommend? Also, I am considering breaking some of the jewellery up to sell the beads to crafters, and again am wondering whether eBay is the best place to sell.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I'm definately not an expert in this field, as I own no jewellery at all, however, I am aware that the price of silver and gold is very high at the moment, and as such silver and gold jewellery can have a high scrappage value.

There are loads of companies advertising on TV for unwanted gold - and all the antiques programmes talk about the scrapage value, so it migh t be worth selling some of the jewellery for its scarp value, and than sell the other bits on e-bay or somewhere similar.

Good luck.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I suppose costume jewellery is different from other bits and bobs but I know that because of the recession it is a very good time to buy lovely glittery diamond rings etc (sorry, do I sound shallow?!), and a very bad time to sell as everybody else is doing it. If you don't need the money (and who doesn't need a helping hand at the moment) then maybe you should try to hang on to them for a bit.

Jostar

Sep 20, 2010
www.postgoldforcash.com
If you sell online to the gold for cash sites they usually take jewellery and bits and bobs that people don't want anymore. So its useful if your jewellery is broken or has bits missing or is very unfashionable for that particular era. However if you're jewellery has sentimental value it may be worth hanging onto as most of the gold and jewellery bought is used for scrap. ebay is a good option if you have vintage or interesting jewellery, and you'll know its going to a good home. hope that helps!

Lisa83

Sep 28, 2010
I have used this website to sell some of my gold jellewery recently. It's called 62days.com

They offered me a good price and supported the collection fees. I got my money within 48 hours. I think it's better than eBay, you know what you get for your items and you get paid quickly. You also have an option to buy your item back at the same pricem shall you change your mind.

Jostar

Sep 20, 2010
www.postgoldforcash.com
Yes that sounds like a good site , there are a few genuine sites out there who will give you a very fair deal, unfortunately as with everything, there are also people out there who will rip you off!
Nice to hear you had a good experience.

JSB

May 11, 2011
Scrap gold may be a good idea.

The important thing to remember when selling antiques and things like that is, if selling directly, the dealer will always try and get the best deal and buy for the lowest price, so without expertise this can be daunting (just look at David Dickinson's Real Deal on TV at the moment!).

I'd recommend getting the items valued - you can do this for free online, and then if wanting to go ahead to sell them, then trying to use an online service that acts as an agent and not a dealer - therefore they will have no interest in ripping you off, as they take commission on the sale the more you make the more they make.