Deterioration of service

Banjogav

Aug 5, 2009
Recently I lost signal in my post code area. I am with Vodafone. My daughters phone has the same problem. Being used to 100% signal in my location for many years I queried this with Voda. After many phone calls and an email to their CEO Vittorio Collao, I have finally been told the reason for this problem which has persisted since 9th of July. The mast in my locality is being masked by recent tree growth. This prevents line of sight with other relay masts in my area. The engineers when inspecting the site discovered through their monitor equipment that due to this tree growth, over 50% of the calls being handled by that mast had failed so they turned it off. No notice was given and the numerous operators I spoke to had no knowledge of the problem. The trees belong to the local council. A meeting was taking place between them and Voda on 5th of August to try and resolve the matter.The real problem I have encountered with Voda during this time is their abysmal and indifferent customer service. One operator even said that I should get up and go out if I wish to use my phone as it is MOBILE!!!Also she went to great pains to point out that Voda do NOT have to guarantee a service. I asked then does that mean I don't have to guarantee payment. At this point she threatened me with legal proceedings and possible damage to my credit rating!!What can be done to make these providers live up to the expectations of their customers? Is their any means where a contract can be cancelled when services deteriorate? Incidentally I pay about £100/ month for my 4 contracts and have done so for many years.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
They might say they don't have to provide a continual service, they may even write it into their T&C's but if they are contracted to provide you with a service, they are legally obliged to do so. They may get away with outage for half a day or so for repairs but no court in the land is going to permit them to insist you keep your half of the bargain if they can't keep theirs.

You need to put in a formal complaint using their complaints procedure (which is on your bills and their web site), tell them you want a full credit for every day your signal has been out and give them 1 months notice to terminate due to lack of service, it could be years if they're waiting for a council to cut trees down, if they do it at all!!!

Banjogav

Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for that. I have 2 mobile phone contracts and 2 internet dongles. ! of the phones and 1 of the dongles I provide for my daughter who is at university. She is at home at the moment and of course her phone won' t get a signal. She was involved in a car accident a couple of days ago and because she was in this area she could not notify us. The accident happened late at night in an isolated part of town. Voda said when I complained yet again that they would let me cancel her contract providing I sent back the equipment. I said that I thought that was free and they said no the cost was covered in the contract. Failing return of the phone they want £381 to cancel. I do think myself that free means free and I should not have to give them anything to cancel.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The phone is provided as part of the contract and as such needs to be returned if the contract is cancelled early, if they have given the option of cancelling your contract I would take them up on it, after all, you will get a replacement phone with another company that can provide better coverage in your area.

Banjogav

Aug 5, 2009
Still no Signal

Thanks for your reply Witch Consumer. I must say that I am still not convinced. I have been through Voda's terms and conditions and nowhere does it state that the phone is subsidised in the contract. Doing the maths that doesn't stack up either. The phone in question is on a £35/month contract for 18 months. In other words the 18 monthe will cost £630. Voda asked for £383.31 or the return of the phone to cancel. That amounts to 60.5% of the contract cost. That being so it would be reasonable to expect a reduction in the monthly cost should the contract continue after the 18 month period. I know from experience that it would not. £35/month would still be the cost. It may seem that I am labouring this point but I don't think I am. I am infuriated at the attitude at Voda. I have never let them down as regards payment in almost 10 years yet I am being treated as a pain in the a**e. I have taken out a contract for my daughter with another provider as her being able to contact me is important. We cannot send back her phone as it was lost in her handbag following a motor accident. The mobile phone industry has now matured. They no longer have to convince people that they need a mobile. Nearly everyone has one these days. Surely their focus should be ' get your phone from us and we will look after you '.:mad:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I agree with Witch Consumer I think you should cut your loses and send everything back and pay for your daughters phone. There is another option which is to pay an extra per month for a Vodaphone mini base station in your house. This does require a broadband connection though - Vodafone offers customers chance to pay for own infrastructure ? The Register
This would require sticking with Voda but might be less hassle.

Tony

Banjogav

Aug 5, 2009
Thanks Tony

It would be simpler, I agree, to comply. My point is somewhat more pressing however. Voda have failed in their obligation under their contract and there appears nothing I can do. Voda's T&C's are loaded in their favour. Even though they have failed, in order to exit from the contract it costs me either in returning the equipment or in cash settlement. Maybe this is why they don't care because they can't lose. I find this apalling and something should be done about it. Under The Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, it is unfair for Voda to offer FREE upgrades and thereby influence customers contractual decisions, then to avoid loss in the event of a consumer wishing to cancel state that the phone is not free after all. The influence is in this case the attraction of a free phone which the consumer might not otherwise be able to afford. The contract in question was upgraded in November 2008 following an unsolicited phone call from Voda. The regulations were made law in May so clearly the contract falls within the provisions of the regulations. Voda have agreed to release me from that contract and that must include all conditions appertaining to it and not just those where Voda incur no loss. I feel now that I must make a stand as I have not defaulted in any way. In Voda's T&C's they outline many instances where THEY can cancel the contract, withdraw airtime, reduce services without penalty. As long as these providers can protect themselves regardless of quality of service then matters, for all, will not improve.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The problem you have is that the relevant legislation is for the authorities to take action not individual consumers. For the CPRs it would be Trading Standards and for Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 it would be OFT - Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 - Unfair Contract Terms | Consumer Information

Although I think OFCOM might take on this role for mobile phones - Consumer complaint against O2 about unfair contract terms | Ofcom

I think you need to go through the whole Voda complaints process until you get to OFCOM.

Tony