Duff car - consumer protection, what protection?

Cleo12

Aug 8, 2009
A few weeks ago I bought an car from a local garage and within an hour of driving noticed the steering was seriously faulty. The garage agreed to look at it and after having it for a week said they'd fixed it.

Went to collect it and test drove it to Kwik Fit a couple of streets away. The problem was still there and the mechanic at Kwik Fit said they had looked at 3 times for the garage, aligned the tracking as best they could but advised them it was still faulty and required further work.

I duly returned to the garage who agreed to look at it again. Then telephoned consumer direct who advised me I was within my rights to request a full refund - which I did in writing.

The garage refused outright to give me a refund and are now refusing to do any further work and have said they will charge me storeage if I don't remove the vehicle immediately and as far as they are concerned the matter is closed.

The local trading standards have apparantly had dealings with them before and have spoken to them about the case but are powerless to do anything. The car is valued at £5,000 so outwith the small claims court.

It was paid by bankers draft (treated as cash) so no protection from this end either.

Is my only option to take them to court? Even if I win the case - there's no guarantee they'll pay up?

As far as I can see I've done everything by the book, contacted the relevant bodies and acted on their advice but the garage are still able to wriggle out of their responsibilities. Meanwhile I'm left with a dangerously faulty car.

Any thoughts welcome.:mad:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The other option you have is to get a quote to have it fixed properly and start a small claim for this amount which should be less than £5000 I hope. As long as he is solvent the courts will eventually be able to get your cash.

Cleo12

Aug 8, 2009
thanks Tony

yes, I think this may be worth considering. I am planning to have an RAC independent check carried out first and will take it from there.

I do feel however feel, that there should be something in place either through consumer avice or trading standards that if there is sufficient evidence that the goods you were sold are faulty that they have the power of enforcement rather than having to go to court.

Meanwhile back on earth.......