Unauthorized cals made from a lost phone

holeeemma88

Aug 12, 2009
Hi,
i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me regarding calls being made from a lost mobile phone.
I recently lost a mobile phone on a night out and reported it lost the next day. Unfortunalty someone got hold of it and in the space of around 12hours they made just over £300 worth of calls to countries abroad. It is extremely clear that i did not make the calls and i have now had to pay the bill. I checked online and apparenlty I am liable for any calls made until i report the phone lost or stolen. Does anyone know if there are any ways i can get my money back or i have i just been extremely unfortunate??
thanks x

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It does seem unfair that the operator benefits from your loss as the calls will cost them a fraction of what they charge you. It is probably worth having a look at Ofcoms website and starting a formal complaint with your provider. They have to protect their business from fraud which is why they have this policy, but they can alway make exceptions.

Tony

Dorigen

Sep 3, 2009
On a similar subject. I am being charged by O2/CPW for calls made on my phone account between Nov 2007 and Jan 2008 when I was without a handset and following my request for disconnection. They acknowledged receipt of my disconnection letter stating that they could not disconnet me as i had 12 months remaining on my contract and had to pay a penalty. As the contract was never completed (they failed to send me the contract or the handset), they later relented and agreed to disconnet me (though this agreement was over the phone). I received no further bills, so assumed all had gone through OK. They are now saying that I am liable for the charges as they did not recieve my disconnection letter and I did not report my phone lost or stolen (which it wasn't). I did have proof that they recieved my letter as I sent it recorded delivery, but no longer have this as I got the letter from them acknowledging receipt. I still have this letter, but they have said only the proof from the Royal Mail is sufficient. Surely this can't be right?