Ripped Off by a Cowboy Builder

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
My wife & I have had a terrible experience in Birmingham with a nasty but clever cowboy builder, who I probably can't name for legal reasons - although I would very much like to as a warning to other potential victims.

We hired him for a kitchen refit in early August 2007. He broke down the job into small units & submitted separate estimates for each job. Despite initially promising to finish everything by the end of August by then only 1 estimate had been completed, which we paid for.

After that he averaged 2.4 man-hours per day, while we were trying to use a dangerous unhealthy worksite as a kitchen. When talking to him didn't work, on September 20th we requested in writing that all the work should be finished by October 26th. We repeated this later making "time of the essence".

Nothing changed & on October 13th he engineered an argument over payment as an excuse to walk off the job. At 7pm on a Saturday while we were trying to eat our dinner he aggressively demanded immediate payment of 10 invoices / charges he had submitted the evening before. He had just finished work on some of them, 1 was not finished, & 2 were where estimates had not been signed as the price had not been agreed.

I pointed out we couldn't sort it out straight away as we were trying to have our dinner, & said we would sort out payment when he returned on Monday. He refused & said until he had cleared funds for all his invoices he would be doing no more work.

Over the next week in correspondance we posted cheques for 5 invoices, he withdrew 2, leaving 3 in dispute.

On our return from holiday in early November we found a legal claim against us for the 3 invoices. We responded with a defence & counterclaim for the signed etimates which he was refusing to fulfill, & the extra cost to us of having to find alternative tradesmen to finish the work & for damage he had caused to our original Victorian floorboards.

When the builder's evidence arrived 6 days before the Hearing it was full of forgeries & fabrications. A copy of my signature had been added to the 2 estimates where we didn't agree the price, my signature had been removed on other estimates, estimates we had never seen with a copy of my signature on them appeared, & letters which he had never sent had been written, including a "Terms of Commencement" with a copy of my signature added. It was a comprehensive fit-up job.

These "Terms of Commencement" included payment terms where he stated that work on a new estimate would not commence until invoices for previous estimates had been paid in full. We then understood why he had insisted on separate estimates.

Whenever he submitted an estimate, if we agreed it we would sign it, photocopy it & return the original to him. We had unsigned originals of the estimates we didn't agree. We had copies of estimates containing his & my signature for work he had not done.

We were confidant therefore that because he could not produce original documents with my signature on them for these forgeries that we could prove that our documents were genuine & his were faked.

However in Court he alleged that - at least for the disputed invoices - I had given him photocopies of the estimates & kept the originals. The Judge bought his story hook line & sinker & ruled against us on all counts! This guy is a very good talker & apparently presented his case better than us - we expect he's done this before. He had also told is his Dad is a retired Magistrate, so we wonder if strings have been pulled - it now appears we never had a chance.

We did everything we thought we could to verify in writing everything that happened. We took digital photographs of all the work done every day. We kept a record of dates & times of exactly who attended & what they did. We kept a record of conversations & copies of all correspondance.

We kept copies of all signed estimates, we had unsigned originals of estimates we did not sign which he claims we did.

Despite this he was able to produce blatant forgeries, present them in Court as evidence, convince the Judge that they were genuine & use them to extort money from us.

What more could we have done? What's to stop clever psychos like this making up any document they like to rip off innocent ordinary people like us? We have been left feeling violated, angry, shocked & badly let down by a legal system we thought we could trust. We are looking at the appeals process but if 1 Judge has already ruled against us how do we know another won't also? This guy has been given a blank cheque to extort money from anyone he likes.

We thought we had done all we could to protect ourselves. but we clearly hadn't. If anyone can advise what we could have done differently we would be very grateful, & it would help anyone else who finds themsleves in the same predicament.

"Art is an Enemy" - Roger Taylor

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is actually very difficult to forge signatures and a handwriting expert would be able to give expert evidence on this matter. This would provide grounds for appeal and the builder could be charged.

You are obviously very angry which is understandable, but I would recommend weighing up the costs of proceeding with an appeal against moving on. I am not just talking about money, but the emotional impact this can have on you and your family over a long period of time.

Best regards,

Tony

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
Thanks Tony - my wife has just given me more or less the same advice! Yes I am angry & I want to take action but not if the cost in time, money & stress is too great. I expect a handwriting expert would be costly. Also I think he's copied & pasted my signature from letters rather than forged it directly - hence his covering argument that I returned photocopied rather than original estimates to explain why he can't produce signed originals.

I plan to request an appeal & if that is successful take it from there. We feel that we weren't allowed to present our case, & the builder was allowed to flout the Court's rules with impunity so we are also considering a complaint to the OJC about the Judge.

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It must be my feminine side. :) Had a quick Google and found this - looks reasonable: Services & Fees

However, if they have been cut and paste then surely the fact that they are identical would also make them dubious.

Let us know how you get on

Best regards,

Tony

Nicola

Facilitator
Builders, as a rule are utter scoundrels...and I can sympathise with the post above given the problems that I nhave had with ASB Construction in Southampton.

Even being a member of the Federation of Master Builders wasn't enough to ensure the quality of the work we had carried out and I have no idea as to how to stop these cowboys...

If anyone has any suggestions...I'm all ears!

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
"However, if they have been cut and paste then surely the fact that they are identical would also make them dubious."

Thanks again Tony - I'll have a look at your link.

There may be a direct forgery or 2 but I think where's he's copied my signature it's from letters I've sent him where I have only a printed copy from my computer, rather than a photocopy of the letter actually sent that does have my signature. He seems to know what he's doing. There were a number of documents he presented in evidence that he has never sent us copies of, despite our numerous requests. I suspect these letters bearing my signature are among them so I haven't been able to check.

Significantly he has not copied my wife's signature anywhere - we don't think he had a copy of it. This despite his Witness Statement claiming she signed the "Terms of Commencement" but the copy which he supplied in evidence which was supposed to have been signed by her bearing no signature other than his.

It might be worth doing a thorough check, but again it comes back to cost vs. benefit. I'll wait to see if our Appeal request is successful. I think we'd feel better even if we were just given leave to Appeal & didn't - we'd at least feel a little vindicated!

Last edited:

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
Builders, as a rule are utter scoundrels...and I can sympathise with the post above given the problems that I nhave had with ASB Construction in Southampton.

Even being a member of the Federation of Master Builders wasn't enough to ensure the quality of the work we had carried out and I have no idea as to how to stop these cowboys...

If anyone has any suggestions...I'm all ears!

Thanks for your support - we've felt very alone in all of this & it's good to know from you & from this forum that it's not just us!

It's worrying that even a FMB member can be dodgy - that's 1 lesson we'd thought we'd learnt, to only use members of trade organisations. We used a builder from the Trustmark scheme to finish the work & they did a great job, so they're not all bad. They said to us "If you don't like anything we're doing just shout at us & we'll sort it out"! It was refreshing! The reality was slightly different but overall they were true to their word & we would use them again.

Have you tried complaining to the FMB about ASB? We didn't have that option as our cowboy's company isn't a member of any trade organisation, as far as we know - despite his putting the letters "MIOC" after his name in his letters to indicate he was a member of the Institute of Carpenters, when it turned out he'd just passed a couple of their GCSE-level exams! We were hoping that this would prove he'd already falsified his own documentation but the Judge didn't allow us to present this evidence.

Last edited:

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
This is a terrible story and I really feel for you. While I'm afraid I don't have any advice on what to do now, except to echo Tony's sensible words, I do know of a couple of websites that might help others avoid this situation.

One is Rate My Trade which allows users to post jobs that they need done and receive quotes from contractors. Users can post feedback on tradesmen, so if they don't do a good job, future potential customers can be warned.

Recommended Tradesmen is a similar site that allows you search for local tradesmen and read reviews from people who have employed them.

Both of these sites are a bit like a tripadvisor.com for contractors, which seems like a useful idea. The downside is that it only works if people have rated contractors in your local area, which I have found is not usually the case.

Best of luck though, I hope it works out for you.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Good advice GG as usual. I think the best advice is to use someone who has been personally recommended - this is what these sites are trying to replicate. However, always get three quotes.

Many local councils now have an assured trader scheme too - The Office of Fair Trading: Network members

The people who run these schemes will I assume monitor complaints from Consumer Direct.

Tony

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
Thanks (again) Tony & Glasgow Girl - we appreciate your support

We are new to this area (northern Birmingham) & didn't have anyone we knew we could trust. We get on well with our neighbours but their recommended contractors weren't available. Even so we got our cowboy from a local directory of 'recommended tradesmen' - who recommended this company I don't know! It's now in the bin.

I've since successfully used which?local which is a similar peer-review site such as the ones Glasgow Girl mentions - which I've bookmarked.

My main lesson is that I would never ever again use a contractor for major work who isn't accountable in some way - particularly to a trade organisation. We thought keeping copies & keeping everything in writing would give us the protection the legal system is supposed to give us, but we were wrong.

I would love to name my 'Enemy' to warn off other potential victims but I probably can't for legal reasons

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You probably shouldn't name him on this site now you have written the above, but you could on the Which? local site and the others that GG mentioned. A "I wouldn't recommend xyz." would suffice.

This is a statement of fact and nobody can argue with that.

Tony

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
You probably shouldn't name him on this site now you have written the above, but you could on the Which? local site and the others that GG mentioned. A "I wouldn't recommend xyz." would suffice.

This is a statement of fact and nobody can argue with that.

Tony
Thanks Tony - I will do exactly that!

Art is an Enemy" - Roger Taylor

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
Thought you might like to know the latest: I've gone to the Police & they don't want to know. As far as they're concerned it's already been dealt with (however badly) in a Court of Law so they can't do anything. I tried to make the point that it's a Civil Court & this is a criminal allegation but the plod didn't seem to know the difference. Do you think there's any point writing to them in the hope of getting someone more senior? In the meantime we've sent off our Appeal application & are waiting to hear back from the Court.

Justice eh? What a joke

Last edited:

rachel123

Nov 13, 2008
Best Wishes

I am absolutely amazed by this story, not to say disgusted, and I hope you are finding some resolution. Not only is this stressful, it consumes you life. I wish you the best.

I have been done over my builder on my extension- half of it was built then he turned up more infrequently. Then he demanded more money to finish it (an extra 12K). We agreed 5K, which I paid, he turned up for a bit, but it still has no roof- what do I do? And he won't come back, won't answer my calls!

What do I need to do to get him to finish this work?

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
I have been done over my builder on my extension- half of it was built then he turned up more infrequently. Then he demanded more money to finish it (an extra 12K). We agreed 5K, which I paid, he turned up for a bit, but it still has no roof- what do I do? And he won't come back, won't answer my calls!

What do I need to do to get him to finish this work?
Thanks for your support.

Not sure I'm the right person to advise on this given my experience, but what you can do may depend on the nature of your agreement with the builder.

If the price he gave you for the work was verbal only it may be difficult to prove but a verbal contract is still a contract.

If it's in writing then it depends whether he gave you a quote or an estimate. A quote is binding & cannot be altered unless it contains specific exclusions such as "labour only" or "materials not included". By law he must do the work specified for the price specified.

An estimate, or a conditional quote, can be added to but it has to be justified - the builder can't just name a new price. Citizen's Advice or which? legal are usually pretty good for this sort of thing.

If he refuses to finish the job he is likely to be in breach of contract. You then have the option of hiring another contractor to finish the job & seeking any extra costs to you in doing so from your builder. I suggest writing to him & telling him that is what you plan to do & give him 7 days to reply before you take further action. Let him know you're serious & don't let him bully you.

Even though this is the law as I understand it this is just theory - my experience suggests that in practice it can work differently. Hopefully I was just unlucky & came across an unusually corrupt & clever builder plus an equally corrupt / incompetant judge.

How big is your roof?! I reroofed our large Victorian house in Sutton Coldfield last year with quality concrete tiles for around £10K - including guttering replacements & some chimney repairs, plus a roof window. Direct replacement slate tiles would have been only another £2K. I think this guy is ripping you off - or he's doing what our builder did & is trying to get out of the job by making it impossible for you to keep him on.

I have found in the past that just a threat of legal action is sometimes enough, although you may eventually have to go so far as to lodge a claim against the builder (Small Claims Court if amount claimed <£5K). When he sees you're serious he may see sense. This costs around £100 - if it goes this far you should try to claim back your court fee also.

The best advise I can give is 1) don't pay for a job before it's finished- unless graded payments are part of the contract. Chances are you'll never see your builder again, & you have the right under the Sale of Goods & Services Act to inspect the work & verify it has been done as agreed before making any payment,

2) ALWAYS get everything in writing & signed, & keep copies of all documentation,

3) given that my experience shows even this may not be enough, NEVER hire a contractor who isn't a member of a reputable trade association. Since our encounter with our psychopathic builder we have only used Trustmark registered contractors & have had no major problems. If we did we would have recourse to Trustmark who can have the tradesman thrown out thus costing them business & therefore money.

Hope you have better luck than we did!

Drolgerg

Last edited:

rachel123

Nov 13, 2008
Some good advice there, thanks so much for that. Didn't know the difference between a quote and an estimate- good to know. Will use your suggestions.

Did you ever resolve your case or have you had to give up?

Is it worth the pursuit/stress in the end? Is giving up just what these builders rely on to get away with it? (I think your builder is obviously a pro at this, but suspect, perhaps hope, most aren't).

Thanks again

Drolgerg

Aug 30, 2008
Birmingham
Did you ever resolve your case or have you had to give up?

Is it worth the pursuit/stress in the end? Is giving up just what these builders rely on to get away with it? (I think your builder is obviously a pro at this, but suspect, perhaps hope, most aren't).

Thanks again
Np

It's still ongoing. The answer to your question is "probably not", especially as if we appeal & lose again it will be expensive. But I'm now very motivated & very angry. I feel violated. Also he has been given carte-blance permission in a court of law to add my signature to any document he likes & to steal my identity - I have to fight that for my own & for my family's protection.

It may sound high-minded but I also feel I have a duty to stop this crook doing the same to other people. He belongs behind bars.

I don't want to tip my hand as to what I'm doing now - this whole thing has made me slightly paranoid - but I am taking action.

I think you're right about my guy - he's a special case. I think he did bank on us giving up (he's a blatant bully) & that we didn't is why he's resorted to such extremes. I think in most cases going through the channels available will work.

I'm 1 of those people for instance who managed to reclaim bank charges - once I initiated legal action they caved. For non-psychos (although in the case of the banks that's debatable!) using the available options should usually be effective.

Good luck

Last edited:

rachel123

Nov 13, 2008
It may sound high-minded but I also feel I have a duty to stop this crook doing the same to other people. He belongs behind bars.
It doesn't sound high minded at all. Why should these people do this. How do we know they haven't done it to every other customer they've had? Why should they continue to get away with it?

I have a friend who served a letter to their builder (template of the letter was downloaded from a website, which succeeded in getting their work done). I know you are much further down stream from that so it may be no use, but I'll try to get a copy attached anyway. I am hoping this will be of use for my case (when I finally get my hands on it).

Unfortunately this could take a week as my friend runs their own business and seems to be snowed under. Anyway, perhaps its worth a try when it turns up.

I think you are right, we should use all available options!

rachel123

Nov 13, 2008
Here is that letter (attached) that my friend used on his problem contractor. They rave about it! Only had a quick look myself and haven't used it- so can't vouch for it. Good Luck.

No its not attached as it exceeds the 19.5kb limit for the forum! It's title is 'BlackListedBuilders_Resolution_Step2.pdf' and you can find it at BlacklistedBuilders.co.uk.

Hughesy

Feb 18, 2010
Hi There
I couldnt help being extremely disturbed at Drolberg's situation. It's blooming frightening that some one could get away with that.

I know you guys mentioned about the FMB (Federation of Master Builders). The problem with a lot of these organisations is that, being businesses they focus on profit rather than good tradsmen.

For an organisation to PROPERLY vet a trader to ensure only quality work they can't just do a few checks when the trader joins then leave them alone. They need to have a percentage of their work picked at random and checked. The only company i've found that does that is Vetted Tradesmen.
I've used them twice once for some minor kitchen cupboard stuff and once for a full bathroom refit. Both times i got quotes from 3 tradesmen who lived quite local to me. They all brought references with them and they seemed professional.

The Kitchen cupboards where a bit of a pain to finish off (i had to call them back three times) but they cam back everytime and it's done now. The bathroom went fine.

The thing is that about a week after i had the work done Vetted Tradesmen contacted me and asked how the work went! - This is unusuall and surely the sign of a company that check its members properly!
Hope this helps