Family Days Out

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I am on holiday at the moment (why on earth am I sitting at this computer in the evening then?!!) and just wanted to re-iterate once again that a great time can be had by all without spending a fortune.

I have taken full advantage of my National Trust card and gone off for picnics in lovely gardens with the children and have had picnics on the beaches the rest of the time. It's been such a cheap couple of weeks (ish apart from a few spending sprees) that it has been nice to be able to fork out for the odd delicious meal every now and again and I'm feeling quite proud of my budget managing skills.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Well done Rachelle, I bought a NT card a few years ago but only used it once so it was a bit of a waste.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Go for it again! I'll see you at one of the properties one of these days! Such a great way of seeing some of this county's history and having a cream tea all at the same time (crikey I'm sounding old!).

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've got to be honest, I'm considering not visiting National Trust properties any more due to the high pressure sales routine they subject you to every time you visit now.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
They haven't tried that one with me although I do marvel at the blatant way they always make you exit out through the shop and then get quite sniffy as your tired children start pulling at the tea cloths on the way through! Although, if anybody out there works for the National Trust, no offence really taken or meant as I do think they do a great job and offer very good value.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I'm surprised, maybe it's just in the south.

After you've paid another person accosts you as you try to leave the shop/enter the attraction. They would normally start the conversation with:

"Would you expect to visit another 3 National Trust properties this year?"

And then go on to ask you where you live (to tell you all about the attractions in the local area) and how if you join today you'll get your admission back.

And it really is a hard sale (this is from someone that works in sales so know all the tricks!). At Corfe Castle and Brownsea Island our entrance to the property was blocked and we had to give excuses before we could move past them.

Neither one accepted that we wouldn't visit enough properties, that we'd looked into it/had the sales pitch before, that we weren't really interested in visiting gardens etc., it was only when my wife lied and said she was still on maternity leave so couldn't afford it did they let us go.

After our badgering at Corfe Castle last month I almost wrote a letter to the National Trust to moan about this latest campaign (because I really do feel like I can't be bothered to visit any more of their properties if you have to endure this each time) but never did get around to it.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I was surprised to find out recently that NT places are managed individually and have targets like any other business, bonus's for sales (like the banks) and, like the rest of us, more and more duties piled on and targets to meet every year.

from what I was told by a person who had just left, they are quite aggressive about results too but I'll let you know the results of her grievance

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
There is a similar set up at English Heritage sites with the aggressive sales of annual passes. Charities in general are struggling and using aggressive tactics - we had a kid come to the door the other day trying the sign us up for a direct debit for NSPCC. I am sure Age Concern wouldn't use such a tactic as door-to-door sales causes a lot of stress and angst.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Sorry, I've only just read this Tony but I have to say I'm not so sure about your optimism re Age Concern. Why would this charity be any different from the NSPCC for example. I'm sure they must all use quite harsh tactics - especially as I imagine donations have gone down quite a lot in the recession although I don't know the numbers.

mcmack

Aug 24, 2012
If you live in London, there are so many free museums to visit, which can keep the kids entertained for hours. My favourite thing to do is to pack a picnic and go to a local park with the children. They make friends, play on the playground and also get some exercise too. Best of all, it wears them out!