Faulty motherboard.

WuZiMu

Aug 16, 2009
Hi, I'm trying to find out where I stand on this:

Can a shop refuse to accept a computer motherboard that has failed just after 6 months after purchase, based on the fact that I don't have ALL the original packaging, cables and driver disk "AS ORIGINALLY SOLD". I do have most of it, I'm one IDE hard drive cable and one SATA hard drive cable short.

I bought it on 10/02/09 and it failed on 12/08/09. I have since just been out and bought a new board but I'm now left £70 out of pocket with the original board.

The board came with a 12 month warranty, but the shop say they refuse motherboards that don't have ALL the original packaging.

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This may be a term in their warranty, but this in addition to your statutory right. You should send them an email stating that you would like the board repaired as it is not of satisfactory quality. Mention that this is your right under the Sale of Goods Act.

What shop is it? I can personally recommend Scan for this kind of thing.

Tony

WuZiMu

Aug 16, 2009
I bought it from Micro Direct. I used to (until now) always shop there. This is the first time I've had anything faulty so I've only just found out that their customer service is terrible.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I always thought that they were good too. Let us know how you get on and whether you need more help

Tony

geoff1248

Aug 16, 2009
WuZiMu
The shop are acting illegally. It is your motherboard that has failed NOT the packaging. As has been stated the packaging issue may be in their terms and conditions but it does not effect your claim under SOGA.

WuZiMu

Aug 16, 2009
Thanks for the info Tony & Geoff1248.

I've emailed them again quoting the Sale of Goods act so I'll see what they say to that.

Someone else also suggested contacting Gigabyte themselves which I have also done so I'll await their reply also.

Thanks again, I'll post when I receive a reply.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You can do that if Gigabyte provide a warranty, but you will have to choose one or the other route. Personally, I would put the pressure on Microdirect for trying to mislead you, but it might be easier to get the manufacturer to fix it if it is under warranty.

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Hmm. This is an interesting post to follow. I also have motherboard issues that just arose yesterday (network port no longer works).

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the supplier can ask you to do to verify a fault? For example I spoke briefly to this company on the phone and they said I should format my hard drive and re-install windows, which is totally overkill, and I am slightly surprised that they even suggest such a thing. I've contacted their technical support properly via email (that is the only medium they 'support') so I'll see where this goes.

I hope you have some success WuZiMu. I'm anticapting a few problems after some of the reviews I've read about this company. I've read things that suggest they've been closing down/starting up under new company names to avoid having to pay debts etc.

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Interestingly I have now received a response from the Technical Support team, who have also said 'Format the hard drive'.

Now my question becomes a bit more prevalent because I'm 99% certain that won't fix my problem (I'm a Software Engineer so have a little background in PCs), and to do so is going to be very costly on my spare time, not to mention I don't have the available spare storage space to backup the complete amount of data on the disk, and under their warranty (which I know is an extra to statutory rights) I risk voiding my warranty if I install a new disk.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Do they know you have any technical knowledge? I know formatting a hard drive and reinstalling Windows isn't exactly rocket science but it would be a challenge and possibly risky for your average user, I am not really surprised they suggested it coz I've had dealings with them before but it's a ridiculous suggestion.

WuZiMu

Aug 16, 2009
Well one week later and Micro Direct are ignoring all my emails. Gigabyte did however get back to me and said I could return it to them for a £10 admin fee. As much as I'd like to make Micro Direct do what they should, I think I'll just have to send it to Gigabyte.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I can understand that, but the least you should do is report it to Consumer Direct so it can go on file.

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Witch Consumer, yes I do have technical knowledge which in part is what made me so against formatting the disk. As it would in no way fix a hardware issue. Fortunately I managed to resolve the issue via other means (bios reset + pull power cord for a while).

Tony, indeed, I suggested that and they said instead they wanted it formatting... Crazy.

WuZiMu

Aug 16, 2009
Just thought I'd update you on what's happened regarding my faulty motherboard. I changed my mind and decided I wasn't going to let Micro Direct of the hook. So I did as you suggested Tony and contacted Consumer Direct. They replied telling me pretty much exactly what you had already told me. So I emailed Micro Direct yesterday adding the entire response from Consumer Direct. I received an email from Micro Direct and they have finally agreed to take the motherboard:

"Please send back the faulty item(s) only, EXCLUDING the original box, cables, case, manuals, software/drivers etc. Please also note if you return the product in the original box it may not be returned in the same box, so if it is your wish to retain the original box please use alternative secure packaging to return your product. Regards Returns Department. If your item(s) is returned as faulty after 28 days from your date of purchase then you are only entitled to a warranty repair or replacement. WE will then, within 6 to 8 weeks, repair, replace or issue a refund in respect of the defective item, solely at OUR discretion."

Funny how I don't need any of the packaging anymore. Thanks for the help Tony.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Thanks for the update, if you took the item back personally you'd find a queue far bigger than those purchasing.

It never ceases to amaze me how companies are so determined they are right until consumer direct tells them they're not.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Good on you Wuzimu, interesting quote - it is not soley at their discretion as to whether they repair, replace or refund.

Also, if being without the product causes significant inconvenience e.g. perhaps you use it for your work or studies then they should provide a repair.

Thanks for the update

Tony