Mail order 25% restocking fee < 7days

MikeL

Aug 17, 2009
Hi,
I have just ordered a camera lens on-line from what I think is an offshore supplier. After reading further reviews on the item I would prefer another model.
Since purchasing I looked for the suppliers returns /cancellation instructions on the web-site and it specifies a "minimum of 25% restocking fee".
Can they legitimately charge this and what about shipping fees? When I made the order I didn't explicitly agree to any terms, would this make any difference anyway?
Also they specify they do not provide any manufacturers warranty beyond 7 days, again is this legal?
Thanks, Mike.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Mike,

It depends what you mean by offshore - was it within the EU or further afield.

Restocking fees are not allowed in the UK and the only charge you should have to pay is the return postage - assuming you have just changed your mind.

The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and there is no requirement to provide one. In most cases your statutory rights apply for longer anyway. If it was faulty or not as described you would have to pay anything.

Tony

MikeL

Aug 17, 2009
Thanks for the response Tony.
I've just checked and they are a "United States registered incorporated business". I paid for the product through pay-pal in GBP. When you say not allowed in the UK does that include orders made from the UK shipped to the UK?

By statutory rights do you mean they as a supplier are liable for faults that occur in the first 12 months within whatever legal limitations there may be?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
If they are trading from the US then the UK Distance Selling Regulations do not apply and I believe that restocking fees are allowed there.

Statutory rights info can be found here: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/what-are-my-statutory-rights/

It can be up to 6 years or could be 1 day. Depends on the nature of the goods, price paid etc. For example, if you bought a 40 year old car for £10 and it broke down after a few days you wouldn't have a good case.