Uncollected goods

ROBBIE5859

Aug 17, 2009
Hi. Does anyone know what the law is relating to goods which have been paid for in full but which the buyer has left uncollected for a period of time. Can the seller sell these at some stage to clear them from the premises and/or to recoup storage charges ? I know of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 but it seems that this is for goods which have been left for repair but not yet paid for. Is there different legislation to cover a situation where there is no money owing ? I look forward to any answers.

Cheers

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I guess it depends whether the contract of sale was made, how long you have had the item and whether you know the identity of the buyer.

There is this in SOGA about reselling:

21 Sale by person not the owner

(1)Subject to this Act, where goods are sold by a person who is not their owner, and who does not sell them under the authority or with the consent of the owner, the buyer acquires no better title to the goods than the seller had, unless the owner of the goods is by his conduct precluded from denying the seller’s authority to sell.

(2)Nothing in this Act affects—

(a)the provisions of the Factors Acts or any enactment enabling the apparent owner of goods to dispose of them as if he were their true owner;

(b)the validity of any contract of sale under any special common law or statutory power of sale or under the order of a court of competent jurisdiction.

Last edited: