Income Tax Rebate and Increased Personal Allowance in Future Years

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Hello

If you work in a sector where uniform is required, and your employer provides a uniform, such as a logo'd t-shirt or a uniform that is designed to protect your own clothing and prevent the spread of infection, that you have to take home and wash ... you might be entitled to a tax rebate of up to £45.00 or £60.00 per year for the last six years.

All you have to do is write a letter (see my What Comsumer Blog accessible via my profile for the sample letter) and send it to your employers HMRC Tax Office - I know of people that have got around £200 back.

Usually HMRC will refund tax already paid in the form of a cheque of BACS payment for previous years, and for the current and future tax years increase you tax code, so that the extra £60 allowance is built into your tax code.

It only takes a few minutes to do and costs £0.30 to post, and it could be worth £200 ... do have a look at the letter in my blog and if it applies to you, send it off.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Below is a letter, that I give out on training courses to learners - some of them have managed to get a £200 rebate, and an increase in their tax code for future years, just copy and paste into a word processing file, fill in the gaps, remove the bits in brackets that don't apply, and send.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Name
Your Address

Date

HM Revenue & Customs
Tax Office Address
Details available from your employer/payroll dept
Postcode.

Dear Sir or Madam

RE: Expenses Allowance
NI No: (AA000000A)

I have been employed at (Company Name), (Location) since (Date of Starting at Employment). My employer’s PAYE reference is (###/#####), my payroll number is ######.

I am (provided with # uniforms bearing the company logo/provided with # uniforms that conform to the appropriate infection control standards of the care industry).

I am obliged to launder the uniform, which is supplied to me by the company as there are no laundry facilities available to me. I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £60 for each year since the above date.

(In addition I am required to buy shoes and trousers that conform to the company dress code). These cost me £##:## in the last year, and I have to purchase them yearly).

Yours Faithfully

(Your Name)
(Your Tax code)

Jekaterina

Apr 14, 2013
Can I claim if I am self employed?

I work as a massage therapist with 2 companies and in both cases I have to wear uniform with their logo on and I have to wash and iron it.

NicolaT

May 16, 2013
www.careandcompare.com
You cant always get this, the revenues view on clothing is that if you are wearing it for warmth or modesty then it is not allowable as it is not 100% wholly for business purposes