Sony Erricson W580i scam

Carole.F

Aug 20, 2009
My 12 year old son bought the W580i from Vodafone for £80 with Xmas money. The memory card slot turned out to be faulty (after it was supposedly mended 3 times by "upgrading the software"). It was replaced by a "like for like" phone. A few weeks later the phone suddenly went blank and display was lost although handset worked. It was taken in for repair but report said fault was caused by physical damage to the phone and it falls outside manufacturer's warranty etc. They sent a photo of the supposed fault which I was told the connectors to the battery inside the handset were bent which they said could have been caused by putting in his pocket whilst phone was open. He is not a rough playing lad and I believe when he said he'd done nothing to it at all. He hardly used phone and had to be reminded to take it with him few occasions he went out.

My argument is that it is their word against mine (or my son's). My Motorola phone which lasted nearly 6 years had been accidentally dropped on concrete numerous times and put back together and worked fine. How does connectors get bent when they are supported by the battery inside the handset? I feel the phone was probably already damaged when given out as the phone would intermittently work then go blank again.

Is there anything within our rights to support a case against Vodafone?