Faulty HP laptop

mark1209

Aug 21, 2009
Hope, someone can advise.. I bought a laptop in December 2007 from Staples. In the last couple of months the wireless stopped working now the computer won't turn on. The fault is well documented on the 6000 series throughout the web. However HPs bottom line is- yours isnt on our list so tough, you pay for the repair. I haven't tried Staples yet but the receipt is gone, although I do have a credit card bill with the transaction on. As the computer, in my view, is not fit for purpose do you think I'll get any joy?:confused:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Mark,

You should be able to get Staples to remedy the situation as it is reasonable for a laptop to last more than 20 months. Give them a call and see what they say. Mention the Sale of Goods Act in the conversation. They may ask you to prove that it is faulty which is a reasonable request and will require you to get an engineers reports. They will have to pay for this if it is faulty, so make sure they are happy with who you choose.

Tony

mark1209

Aug 21, 2009
thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a go. Bit annoying HP have such a big problem but still refuse to accept it. Wouldn't touch another one if you paid me!!

mark1209

Aug 21, 2009
no, thats not what I meant. They've extended the warranty through Europe and America because of the many faults (all the same ones) on the 6000 series, but refuse to budge of mine!!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Right now I understand, I have seen some campaign sites dedicated to HP issues. Might be worth a look - HP Lies: The nVidia Defect

But in the UK Staples are liable and if you paid by credit card they are equally liable.

Tony

ARK

Jan 9, 2010
Those laptops problems are well known and I think your laptop is on the list now
h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01300427