where do i stand?

mfcrtp28

Aug 21, 2009
I took a ring into the jewellers to be repaired after it had to be cut off.

I asked them to repair the ring. I paid full price for the repair.
On collection the ring was far smaller than it was before the repair and the hallmark had been removed.

I phoned the jewellers who said it should have been sized before repairing,
when i took the ring back to be repaired i was told that it would be fixed at no cost and i could pick it up the following week.

I went back the following week to find the ring had not been resized at all and they wanted me to pay for the resizing. After arguing with the shop assistants i managed to get them to accept partial responsibility and they agreed to pay half.

Should they be paying for the resizing in full as this was their mistake and at no point was i told about resizing before the repair was made?

Please can someone tell me where i stand - consumer rights etc

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

It is difficult to say because if you asked them to repair it and they did you have no complaint. Did you specifically say that you wanted it repaired AND resized? Was there an assumption that they would know that it needed to be larger?

It all depends what was said and agreed and ideally written down. A verbal contract is legally binding, but it is only as good as the paper it was written on.

Tony

mfcrtp28

Aug 21, 2009
thanks for your response.

nothing was said about it needing resizing, but when i went back after speaking to them on the phone they told me that they should never have taken the ring in to be repaired without the person who's ring it was present to check the size.

this is why they have said they have accepted partial liability. They told me 'it is common sense' that it would need to be sized. (which i thought was a little rude)

thanks again

mfcrtp28

Aug 21, 2009
forgot to say that the ring was the correct size when we took it in to be repaired - only prob was the fact it had been cut off.

thanks