Broken Phone after only 2 weeks

Bacon1983

Aug 23, 2009
My husband had been with t-mobile for years. In july this year his contract was up and having no problems with them before he decided to stay on. He upgraded his phone to a samsung classico and within 2 weeks it had completely broken down. He took it back to tmoble who sent it away for 2 weeks, we went to pick the phone up on tuesday to be told that it is not repairable die to water damage which could have been caused by: rain, mist, fog, body perspiration and that there was nothing they could do as it was not in warrenty.

Please help, we cannot afford to go out and buy a brand new phone and the only thing t-mobile are offering us is to go buy a new phone and send them the reciepts so they can credit the money back to our account. We simply cannot afford to buy a new phone.

What can i do?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I thought we had got over this problem years ago, when you take the cover from a used mobile phone, you will see water marks around the microphone and the speaker, this is caused by normal amounts of condensation or saliva and by sweat from your ear (apologies if your eating breakfast), this is normal use and was once used as a standard excuse for not replacing phones quoting 'water damage' Manufacturers have done a lot to prevent this problem over the years, proving that it was a design fault.

Normal use does not void a warranty so unless you have spilled liquid on it or immersed it in water, the warranty still stands. In addition T-Mobile must provide you with a replacement phone until the problem is solved.

You may need to go through their complaints procedure and to otello to get the problem solved but you first step will be to go back to T-Mobile, explain the situation and ask for a replacement phone.

Let us know how you go on with this.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
We seem to be getting lost of the "sorry it is water damage" responses. It is such a cop out.

Bacon1983

Aug 23, 2009
Would you believe it, i switched the phone on yesterday out of curiosity and the phone is right as rain and working perfectly.

So much for being completely irrepairable

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update. I take it you bought another phone in the meantime

Tony