Sky Installation / Repairmen : A Warning.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Hi there,

I just wanted to make fellow forum folk aware of a couple of issues I have had with the sub-contractors hired by Sky Television to complete installation and/or repair work on their systems.

The first issue I had was with my Sky Plus 250 box. My first box stopped working six months after I received it. This was replaced without any problem, by a contractor. Just a few months later, the second box proved faulty. I called Sky and once again they sent a sub-contractor around to fix it. The sub-contractor informed me that my box was broken and he'd fit a replacement, which he duly did and showed me it was working with the remote control. It was only a few days after he'd gone and we'd opened the video cabinet doors, we noted that he had installed a 80Gb Sky Plus box, instead of the 250Gb one. To be fair to Sky, when we notified them, they came out and replaced the box, but the installer who came that day said that less scrupulous people were routinely replacing the "broken" 250Gb with 80Gb boxes, and allegedly selling them on once working.

The second issue I had arose when we had multi-room fitted. We were told that the fitting, if standard, would be included in the cost. I explained how I wanted my multi-room subscription set up in my home and was told that I should not incur any additional costs. However when the contractor appeared he informed me that he'd have to use "extra cabling" to reach the room I wanted, which would be an additional £10. I was a little annoyed, but £10 seemed fair enough, however when he went to put the cable up, he informed me that "The old cable was looking a bit worse for wear so I replaced that too." and then informed me the total cost for cable would be £30!

After he'd completed the installation, he handed me the electronic gadget to sign to state he'd completed the work satisfactorily. As I read the screen it stated clearly "Additional Costs, cabling etc. £0" and the amount paid to the contractor had £0 showing. I queried this, asking why it wasn't shown and was told "Oh it doesn't matter, just sign it and I'll put it in, in the van later." I refused and said I'd only sign if it was on there. At which he humphed and complained about the extra time it would take to program the costs and could I not just sign it anyway to save time. Again I refused, at which point he said "Oh forget it, have the ****ing cable for free then. Just sign it" which I did, and he stormed off.

Is it just me or did he see his beer money for the evening disappearing?

I just wanted to give people a heads up on this as I know Sky is getting more and more popular, and as with all new technology, some people will pay first and then think later or not think to check the equipment they have is the one they ordered, and the less scrupulous contractors know this.

Ian

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I think your assessment is correct Ian, the guy should lose his job for that. It is disgusting behaviour. I have had no problems with Sky myself apart from the high prices! I will be switching to freesat as soon as a dual tuner PVR is available...freesat - Products and Pricing

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Yes, Sky is expensive, although now I have my phone and internet with them, it isn't so bad. I wish the television packages were a little more sensibly priced, I can't really say I can justify the price for the television package on it's own.

I read a little about Freesat from your link, however I mainly use Sky for the Sports channels, especially the football. Does this special receiver allow you to get these premium channels at a cheaper price? If so I may well look into it.

(Mind you, that may entail an installer coming out to my house again... !)

Ian

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I think that if you are into sport then the only choice you have is Sky. And if you are locked in with broadband and telephone then it is going to be a pain to change.

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
My mother had similar problems also, but it wasn't that bad! You would think that Sky would be aware of the problems experienced with contractors, especially when what Jorumian says is repeated in so many other forums. Although from what I've read about Sky's Customer Service, contractors are the least of their problems.

My mother is a bit savvy when it comes to Sky. Every few months, when other television providers offer promotional deals (Christmas, Easter, Summer, Autumn), my mum calls Sky and tells them she's switching. To keep her with them, they over all manner of freebies and discounts - she's currently enjoying Sky Sports free for three months. It might be worth having a go yourselves...

Anybody else do this?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have done this a couple of times with Sky. You phone up to cancel and they give you the same package half-price for three months. It should go in the money saving section. Remember this costs them absolutely nothing but means that they keep a customer.