Doorstep selling

Sarahg

Aug 25, 2009
Thanks for the v useful article on doorstep selling. You said it covers something bought where business takes place away from the organisation’s usual premises. Does this include a company base in London organising a course in Manchester? I went on a course at a hotel in Manchester in May and signed up (and paid for) another course. I cancelled 2 days later but the company’s refusing to give me a full refund and says it’s entitled to keep 5% of the course fee as per the contract I signed.

They’re also insisting that I sign a form to say I’m totally satisfied with the way the matter’s been handled and that I won’t tell anyone about the refund. Are they covered by the Regs and if so, shouldn’t I get a full refund? And are they allowed by law to add further conditions before returning my money? I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Apologies missed this, yes you should get a full refund and a cooling off period. These get rich property courses and others are often sold by snake oil merchants and I would recommend getting Trading Standards involved. See number at the top of the page.

Tony

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Sorry to hear you've been having problems SarahG. I have, so far, avoided schemes like this, believing all of them to be too good to be true. Having said that, there has always been a small part of me that has wondered whether I shouldn't have a slightly more risky and entrepeneurial spirit ... so in a strange way, it's good to hear that I should probably stick with my instincts.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
If a get rich quick scheme was to work, everyone would do it. Just keep that in mind Rachelle.

All the people that get rich usually have a unique idea, or see a gap in the market that others aren't exploiting - very rarely would someone just "pass on" advice for you to get rich.

Sarahg

Aug 25, 2009
Many thanks for your response Tony and sorry for the delay in geting back to you. I haven't had quite the response I was hoping for from Traing Standards so I'm now going to make a county court claim. I'll let you know what happens

Sarahg

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Interesting when you resigned did you also waive your cancellation rights, this is normal if the service begins within the seven day cooling off period. If you paid by credit card then a Section 75 claims might be an easier option than going down the court action route.

Tony

Last edited:

Sarahg

Aug 25, 2009
Not sure what you mean by 'resigned'. The course I signed up for did not begin during the cancellation period. I contacted the credit card company but they said they were unable to help as the company concerned had agreed to refund my money (less a 5% admin charge).

Sarahg

Sarahg

Aug 25, 2009
Hi Tony, Just thought I'd let you know that I have now received a full refund. I'm sure the summons helped! Once again, thanks for your help. I needed that extra boost confirming I was on the right track, especially when Trading Standards thought I didn't have a case.

Sarahg