The Motor Insurers Bureau

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
The Motor Insurers Bureau

Yesterday Radio 1’s Newsbeat had an exclusive report on Uninsured Drivers, the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB), which represents all Insurance Companies claimed 1 in 5 Young Drivers are not insured.

The full news item can be found at

BBC - Newsbeat - 'One in five' young drivers uninsured

This affects us because the MIB receives a payment from every Motor Insurance Policy Holder, in theory the more people who are insured, the less we should pay.

If you are involved in an accident and the driver does not stop or the driver is not insured, you can make a claim for personal injury to the MIB, but be prepared to argue, and expect a lengthy delay.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Chutzpah

I know it from personal experience too.

I was involved in an RTA, the other driver who caused the accident sped off and burnt out the car on the 16th of May 2006, three medicals later, and three compensation offers, each one smaller than the last, I got fed up and told my solicitor I was writing direct to the MIB.

I wrote a letter of complaint and was offered my best offer £4,500 (I wanted £6K, but decided this was a fair compromise) we eventually settled and I received the cheque on the 31st July 2009, so be prepared to argue.

mixvix69

May 12, 2011
I had an accident in march 2010 and my insurence company told me to take it to Dws
Croydon who were to do the body repairs, the car was driven around by them and when it was finally finished after weeks of too in and throwing we got the car back, the had changed the ignition and other parts and they stated it was done with there best intentions to get my car back on the road, they never had permission to do any mechanical work either verbally or in writing by myself or my partner the policy holder the car was returned on the 21st of june 2010 and has not driven since they have dameged the car so it doesnt drive the insurance company Tesco have stated that they and the garage are not to blame and have stated its an old car and was old and needed major work, (in fact the car is an audi A6 limosune and has full Audi history and has only covered 107000 miles from new, i have since found out that the garage Dws have taken parts of the car and replaced them with second hand parts and parts not designed for my car, i have told the insurance company i am holding them responsible for the repairs carried out by their garage Dws Croydon as we never agreed to any mechanical work being done, we are also charging them £12.00 per day for storage of the car until this problem is rectified and our car is repaired,
Does anyone think i am being unreasonable and what rights do i have with regards to the damage done

T.C

Jan 5, 2011
I have to deal with the MIB on a fairly regular basis as part of my job.

There are two parts to an MIB claim.

There is the untraced and the uninsured, which ultimately have the same result but slightly different procedures.

The MIB is intended to provide third party cover in cases where a driver is uninsured or they have failed to stop and have not been traced.

They in affect become the defendant insurers and wil defend a case in exactly the same way as normal insurers.

However, when a claim goes in, they immidiatley are entitled to a 3 month investigation period before they are required to respond to the initial letter of claim.

The MIB do require certain protocols to be followed closely which is why it is often important that a solicitor is involved.

One of the biggest mistakes made is that when proceedings are issued, claimants often fail to name the MIB as the second defendant, especially in uninsured cases.

You can make a claim for personal injury against the MIB, and more recently damage only claims, but for damage only claims there is an excess of £250 for each and every claim.

MIB do take considerably longer to process claims than is normal compared with standard third party claims.

It is worth remembering that on personal injury claims there is what is called a statute of liability which means that proceedings must be issued against the third party within 3 years of date of injury or date of knowledge (whichever is the sooner) otherwise the case becomes time barred, in damage only cases, the statute of liability is 5 years.

It cann get quite complicated dealing with te MIB, but it does at least provide the facility to have someone against who you can make a claim, all be it that we as motorists pay for the service through our premiums.