Advice required re: Argos and Samsung NC10

bluesntwos

Aug 27, 2009
Hi all,

I'm brand new here but would like some advice.

I purchased a Samsung NC10 from Argos on Monday (24/8/09). It cost £279.99 which was just below what Amazon was charging (£289.99). I had read great reviews on the product which was my main reason for purchasing it. The reviews were mainly based on the 6-cell battery.

I got the product home, charged it and to my surprise, the battery life was only 1 3/4 hrs. I found this a little strange so did some research on the internet and found Argos sold the 3 cell version. I re-visited Samsung's homepage and they only refer to the 6 cell battery for the NC10, there is no mention of there even being a 3-cell version. Argos just state '4 hr battery life dependant on usage.'

I am now unable to return the product as it is not included in Argos's 30 day returns.

What are my rights? I feel I have been mis-sold the product as I was expecting a 6-cell battery and paid the equivalent price, but only got a 3-cell battery. I have drafted letters to Samsung and Argos and also taken screenshots of their web pages but I would just like my money back!

Thanks for your time :)

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
You also have the right to cancel your purchase, normally this is about 14 days I believe within which time they should accept the return.

bluesntwos

Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify, the item I purchased is a netbook. In the case of 'taking ownership' I have now set Windows up on the machine, charged the battery, etc which is how I have come to realise that the specification is not as I expected.

It would appear that some models are fitted with a 3-cell battery and some with a 6-cell. There is no way of differentiating between which is which until you open the box, by which time you have voided your Argos 30 day refund as they will not accept returns on this item.

I have looked on Samsung's website and they do not refer at all to there even being a 3-cell battery version but from doing research on the net, it would appear they do exist.

Where do I stand? I have read the letter and may use it to get a 6-cell battery which is all I want really as am happy with the product. I would be happy to return the 3-cell battery to get this.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Your request seems reasonable to me and if that is the remedy you want state that in the letter. I know someone who has one of those laptops and is really pleased with it - I think they also received a PC Pro Gold Award.

You are basically arguing that the description on Samsung's website defines NC10 and you bought it from Argos in good faith expecting a six-cell version.

Anway, let us know how you get on.

Tony

BTW Argos terms are in addition to your statutory rights.

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Yeah, that's what I meant Tony. Not quite so up on it all yet, but learning as I go along. I think its very interesting how so many companies are ignorant of/ignore the law, and it'd be nice to see more consumer power to force them to comply (I've heard even small claim courts can't make them pay).

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I don't think many companies are ignorant of the law unless they choose to be, I think many also train their staff with stock answers to any returns/faults/contract problems, I've not known many disputes make it to the courts and if you do, and win, you can always send the bailiff in, as someone did with the head office of the Royal Bank of Scotland, surprisingly they paid up before their computers were seized!!!

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
If there is one thing I have realised since using this forum (and from my own personal experience) it is that Samsung are a rubbish company, my mobile is Samsung, my printer is Samsung and I hate using them, they are poor quality items, and were not cheap at all.

All several other people on this forum have complaned about Samsung phones and Laptops and from my own experince their customer service is shockingly bad.

Samsung have lost me as a customer.

Dunno

Sep 2, 2009
If there is one thing I have realised since using this forum (and from my own personal experience) it is that Samsung are a rubbish company, my mobile is Samsung, my printer is Samsung and I hate using them, they are poor quality items, and were not cheap at all.

All several other people on this forum have complaned about Samsung phones and Laptops and from my own experince their customer service is shockingly bad.

Samsung have lost me as a customer.
Totaly agree with you, I bought a Samsung TV which said Picture in Picture, yet it doesn't do it, unless you have HDMI units.

I only had equipment with scarts or composite, so how can they say a product does Picture in Picture without it being fully described.

I contacted them, and they defend the Dixons, where I purchased the item from.

It's only in the last 2 years or so that you have had equipement with HDMI connections.

I even asked QVC once to show the Picture in Picture on a TSV Samsung once,2 years ago, but the person selling the Samsung wouldn't, despite 3 or 4 phone calls.

I haven't touched their products since, and stuck with Panasonic.