Car Problems!

KPD

Aug 28, 2009
Wonderd if anyone can help my friend has a Mitsubishi L200 April 05. She is now stuck without a car as the oil pump failed and caused the crank shaft to go and is now going to cost over £3000 to try and sort. Looking on the NET this can be a common prob with Mitsubishi but they have not recalled any for this reason. :(

The car is now out side the warrenty and they have baiscally said that as she has not taken the car to a Mitsubishi garage after the warrenty they are not going to help with any repair costs. She is stuck without a family car and with a 4 year old daughter and another on the way it has not easy!

Has anyone else had problems like this or can offer advice?

Thx

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi KPD,

Who did she buy the car from? Her contract is with them. I am not 100% sure what Mitsubushi are saying. Are they saying that if she takes it to one of their garages they will help with the repair costs?

Tony

KPD

Aug 28, 2009
Hi

She brought it from a Mitsubishi garage and had the last service, as it was outside the warrenty, done at her local garage. They said that out of good will they would have given her some money towards the costs of repair, but as she did not keep her business with them they will not help!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
So the car was bought brand new from the dealer in 2005 and has a full service history and has been well maintained with reasonable mileage. You may have a case under the Sale of Goods Act and you could argue that the car is not of satisfactory quality. This assumes that it is reasonable for an oil pump to last more than four years - I am not an expert and cannot comment on that. You need to opinion of a mechanic.

The remedy is to have it fixed free of charge with no significant inconvenience i.e. they would have to provide a loan car while it is being repaired or pay for a hire car. See below for more information about the Sale of Goods Act.

In the first instance you need to write them a letter stating this.

Tony

birdsandrew

Nov 15, 2011
manchester
So the car was bought brand new from the dealer in 2005 and has a full service history and has been well maintained with reasonable mileage. You may have a case under the Sale of Goods Act and you could argue that the car is not of satisfactory quality. This assumes that it is reasonable for an oil pump to last more than four years - I am not an expert and cannot comment on that. You need to opinion of a mechanic.

The remedy is to have it fixed free of charge with no significant inconvenience i.e. they would have to provide a loan car while it is being repaired or pay for a hire car. See below for more information about the Sale of Goods Act.

In the first instance you need to write them a letter stating this.

Tony

I have a mitsy l200 warrior and mitsubishi manchester looked at my faulty crank pulley and said i needed a new crank quoting me 1600 pounds. after they fixed it it didnt do 7 miles when the engine cooked and knocked its balls off. they fitted a faulty crank!!!! wrong crank bearings causing untold damage to the rest of the engine, balanceshaft bearings oil pump assembly con rod damage etc. it went to mitsubishi rochdale for a full stripdown and rebuild even though i wanted a new engine. got it back after 44 days, drove it for twelve weeks engine gone again. mitsy rochdale said theyve washed their hands with it and wont repair it and to sue him.....i got a solicitor onto it at a still ongoing cost of over 1000 pounds only now to find out that rochdale mitsy and manchester mitsy were a franchise run by mks automotive ltd who had now gone into liquidation. DOH! head office mitsy wont help as its a franchise and not mitsubishi even though they carry the name over the door. i am now fighting mitsys insurance who say they wont pay ouy as the policy wasnt paid up in full even though my claim was in with mitsy before they went bust........check the mitsy garage out first and you wont get any help off mitsy head office if they can get out of it they will for designing a ****e engine that cant do its job. and for a franchise to delay in legal paperwork then go bust takes the biscuit. im now going to watchdog and all the media in a bid to get a result.....phew andy...