Who can access your bank account details

oldbeau

Aug 28, 2009
Hi
We had a family get to gether today and I was talking to my antie who was very upset. She was put through a Social Security investegation interview about her widows pension. What shocked me was that they produced bank statements on both her accounts pluss other private information. I was under the impression that only the police has access to your bank account details?
Am I right or wrong?

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
A Department for Work and Pensions fraud investigator has very similar powers to the police, and they work very closely with each other.

The fraud investigator can arrest you if they believe (and have the evidence to suggest) you have committed a fraudulent benefit claim, once arrested, they would simply call the police to have you carted off to the police station.

In terms of whether or not they can access your bank statements without your permission, I would assume the answer is yes. As the benefits investigator can tape record interviews which can then be used as evidence in court.

oldbeau

Aug 28, 2009
Thankyou Michael for your reply. It was a fraud investigator that interviewed her. As it happens they owe her money and she has already been in contact with a solicitor and an accountant to look into her state pension financials. She was put through quiet an ordeal where the interview was taped. I know we are in an age of technology and the relational databases that are being compiled and sold, but surely private information such as bank details should be protected.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I personally believe that the Department for Work and Pensions should have one computer system, so anyone who applies for or receives a benefit or pension, would automatically receive all the benefits and pensions/pension credits they are entitled too, rather than having to fill in form after form.

I believe that this would reduce any real fraud, and like your auntie, those who are innocent, would then avoid the hassal of the fraud investigators.