Car hire prices

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I think the worse thing when arranging and trying to budget for holidays is not being able to get prices from car hire companies that are fully comp in terms of insurance.

We always end up paying more to increase our insurance cover when we get there, and not being able to get the price for this up front at the time of booking means its impossible to know whether you've really got the best deal.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
It's worth checking to see whether you can arrange additional insurance through someone else - I'm not sure, but I think some insurance companies will sell you separate insurance to cover you against any excess on a hired car. I don't know if it would work out cheaper, but at least you'd know how much you were spending before you departed.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I must admit I have sympathy with the poster.

Recently we went to Ireland for a weekend, and we hired a car for the journey from Dublin Airport into the city centre, and back again. The cost online, was £40. Which I was told I'd pay at the kiosk within Dublin airport.

When we arrived, I gave them my printed details, I was then asked if I wanted to upgrade the insurance (Which doubled the cost to £80) and for peace of mind I agreed. I was then informed that I would be charged for a full tank of fuel, with what I don't use when I return the car, paid back to me. Incredibly, this came out at a total of over £160. Four times my original quote and £80 for a tank of fuel alone! Stupidly, I didn't notice how much this was at the time, it was only when I received my credit card bill that I realised, and noticed that they had not refunded me any petrol (The car had only been driven to from the airport to the hotel and back again!)

The good news, was that I sent a very strongly worded email to the company involved expressing my disgust at the way they had overcharged me for the fuel (The Car I rented was a 1.4 litre engine similar to my one at home, and I know the maximum it takes to fill it, even from near empty is £50). I did receive a £74 refund (Which meant I had used £6 of fuel, which is probably near correct) and most amazingly of all, an apology! However it still irks me that the quoted price of £40, was in fact over double that when you take into account insurance and fuel costs.

However the same tricks are used the world over. At Sanford Orlando, if you hire a car, you are often offered, many times over, the chance to upgrade (at a cost) to a better one, and then if you have the "all inclusive" insurance, you get offered extra tyre insurance as tyres aren't included! (Which makes a mockery of the All Inclusive tag).

Personally I think the vagaries of the insurance market allow car hire companies to use this scandalous practices to procure yet more money from the hirer. The time has come, in my opinion, for your own car insurance to cover you fully comp, for hire cars. That would solve the problem once and for all.

Ian

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Insurance is one thing, try asking how much a child seat is. last time I was overseas we brought our own as they would have cost more than the hire of the car itself!!! I am sure I have written about this before and expose the car rental companies... it is disgusting behaviour.

I never take additional insurance. I made the decision many years ago and have never had a problem. If I do have a prang then I'll just have to pay, but hopefully it will still be less that the amount I have saved.

Tony

BTW It is a common misconception that a fully comprehensive motor insurance policy allows you to drive any car third party. This is not the case, you need to check your policy carefully.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Ian - I'm glad to hear you got some money back! To be quoted £40 and then charged £160 under whatever pretexts is outrageous. :eek:

Fully comp insurance - I didn't realise you could shop around in advance. Thanks for the tip! This is something we'll def look into for future, and also contact our current ordinary insurer to see if they will give us a quote. I would say we only drive abroad about once a year so it probably in our case wouldn't be worth having annual cover but one-off cover might be a good option.