Argos Policy about 30 days

Dunno

Sep 2, 2009
Hi

Can someone clarify something for me.

I bought a sat box and it has USB ports on it.

I had asked the manufacture to contact me as Argos website info was limited.

Since i bought the box while waiting for a response, I found that I can not use USB memory stick or devices unless they are formatted correctly.

I tried contacting Argos to say, I bought this only 2 days ago and I not even opened it, but they are saying it is exempt from return?

How is this possible as I bought the item to do certain things, but it won't do it unless I end up paying for other items?

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Dunno,

The Argos 30 day return policy is in addition to your statutory rights.

However, I don't think your statutory rights will help as the item was as described by Argos - is this correct?

Tony

Dunno

Sep 2, 2009
Hi

Can someone clarify something for me.

I bought a sat box and it has USB ports on it.

I had asked the manufacture to contact me as Argos website info was limited.

Since i bought the box while waiting for a response, I found that I can not use USB memory stick or devices unless they are formatted correctly.

I tried contacting Argos to say, I bought this only 2 days ago and I not even opened it, but they are saying it is exempt from return?

How is this possible as I bought the item to do certain things, but it won't do it unless I end up paying for other items?

Thanks
Described as what?

I have tried to explain above, their info was brief and is always limited.

It's why I asked for a call back from the manufacture, while I placed a Reserve and Collect from store order.

When I bought the item, I finally got a call back and the manufacture said under what condtions I could do things.

No retailer is technical and always has the briefiest information.

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You made the decision to buy based on the information available - the description in the catalogue. Did it mention USB in the description?

However, Argos are being unreasonable as the item is unopened and in a resalable condition. Have you tried escalating it to Argos Head Office.

Dunno

Sep 2, 2009
Thats' the reason why I keep saying, Ii asked for the manufacturer to call me back as Argos had limited info.

Argos doesn't mention alot, including storing Music, Photo's storage, Ethernet support (future use) etc etc.

It's the whole point you read reviews and ask the manufacturer.

The HQ is useless even from past experience and the Customer Service Centre just say, it exempt and we not allowed to resell products as they will be prosecuted for it.

I haven't even touched the unit, and not even checked if everything is in the box, as I wanted to make sure if it did the things I wanted it to do.

With Reserve and Collect you only have 2-3 days to pick up the item, so it's the only reason I went and picked it up.

Thanks

Dunno

Sep 2, 2009
Full description is on the manufacturers site and also includes a Spec pdf and Manual.

Argos site, does not have full description, which I keep repeating, is why I read reviews and contacted the manufacturer for a ring back.

It just seems odd to me that Argos can avoid the right to cancel, Fit for Purpose, just because they don't describe the product fully, and then say exempt from 30 day return.

It's not the 30 day return I arguing on, but, can you not simply change your mind, if you find out, it won't do the things you wanted it to do, unless you buy additional items.

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
If the description was on the website you may have a case - see this thread http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/technology/6907-advice-required-re-argos-samsung-nc10.html

Is the description on the manufacturers website?

Tony
Apologies, this is not correct the device you have got is the same as the description on the website, with the NC10 example the product is different.

You can't just change your mind, unless you are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations. Although you reserved online, you didn't pay online so you are not covered.

Dunno

Sep 2, 2009
I've been very reasonable and I noticed one otherthing, the manufacturer gives a standard 2yr warranty, yet Argos only give one.

I'll probably end up keepign the unit, and setup Linux or get a Linux formatter for Windows if one exists.

I don't think any other box does what this does.

Just to be clear on this, so you are saying, you can't buy an item and then decide you have changed your mind and return it?

I thought main retailers allowed you to, unless it's upto them to allow the return. I understand that Freeview boxes are exempt, as you should first check if you got the right setup, but my issue was mainly to do with the features.

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I think you answered your own question. Many retailers do allow returns when you change your mind but this is in addition to your statutory rights.

Which one did you get?

I had similar problems getting a PS3 to play video from USB - gave up in the end

Tony