Sony Vaio Problem - Advice?

Sandyback

Sep 3, 2009
I purchased this computer in June from Comet & have several issues of the screen flashing several times when the desktop came on & shutdown, where the only way to overcome them is totally reload the system, 3 times. The latest issue was the screen totally freezing when accessing a web site. This is rather annoying as I pay a monthly subscription to use a teaching site. At the point of this happenning I contacted Sony to help with the issue which took them over a week & a half & three attempts, 4 days between attempt 1 & 2 to resolve it.
At the same time I contacted Comet informing them of the issues & that I no longer have faith in the product as I don't know what it will do next & the fact I bought it to use the internet & couldn't do so. It also takes considerable time reloading everything back on, at the moment I haven't loaded some programs becasue I don't want to do it all again. The bottom line to Comet, was that I wanted to exchange this for an exact same model.
After several emails (which I had to do remotely) they have asked me to call a service number so that they can see if it's a hardware problem & if it is repair the computer.
My argument will be that if they have my computer I will have to delete & then reload my personal files plus I will not be able to access my subscribed web site causing inconvenience. I suppose they could offer an exact replacement while the repair is undertaken but that would still mean loading & reloading my files for a short period, more inconvenience. Why shouldn't they just replace it?
So where do I stand, lack of faith, not fit for purpose, poor quality?
Any views of where I legally stand.

Many thanks,

Sandyback

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

From what you have said it sounds like this is causing significant inconvenience and you have given them reasonalbe opportunity to fix the problem. You should be able to get a replacement or a refund under the Sale of Goods Act, especailly because you have only had it a few months.

HTH

Tony

BTW It is worth investing in somthing like Norton Ghost to make reloading software easier

Sandyback

Sep 3, 2009
Thank you for the prompt reply Tony. One of the other things that I also told Comet, was that I don't feel I should have to keep asking Sony to fix a problem, to me it makes me a home repair man & not a user which is why I bought the machine, I expect it to work.
Thanks again,

Sandyback

Sandyback

Sep 3, 2009
Hi,

From what you have said it sounds like this is causing significant inconvenience and you have given them reasonalbe opportunity to fix the problem. You should be able to get a replacement or a refund under the Sale of Goods Act, especailly because you have only had it a few months.

HTH

Tony

BTW It is worth investing in somthing like Norton Ghost to make reloading software easier
Interesting update - I rang the number given by Comet to see what they said about a possible repair, the person on the other end seemed to have an American accent not English so I asked if he worked for Comet & he said no, Sony Viao Helpline. His job was to try & resolve issues & organise repairs. Nothing to do with Comet.
So to me it looks like Comet have passed the book & infringed the Sale of Goods Act.
So now I will go back to Comet & demand a replacement.

Sandyback

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Hmm, it seems it's not just the smaller companies like the one I bought mine off that insist on formatting machines "totally reload the system, 3 times".

Seems to be the simple cheerful answer, wipe it and start again, yet to do so can be a huge undertaking for an end user.

Sandyback

Sep 3, 2009
Does anyone else have problems with Comet?
As much as I say to them nicely that it is they who have to resolve the problem, they always come back & tell me to call Sony helpline. It's wearing a bit thin now & legal action may be the only solution.
I have now asked them to explain why I should deal with manufacturer & not the trader, could be intersting replay.:(