Who still buys newspapers?

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
I'm just curious, but who here still buys a newspaper?

I haven't bought one in years, I always read my news online and even when I worked in a shop I rarely borrowed one off the shelf to read at lunchtime. I prefer getting my news online, and to be honest the cultural content in most papers is terrible compared to the equivalent on the internet, at least in my opinion.

Still, I understand some people like to have the paper copy, like to feel the newsprint on their hands. Obviously you save money not buying a newspaper, though I've never seen a good comparison of the environmental impact of papers vs. internet news.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
As I find that I just skim read most of a paper (as many of the stories are irrelevant to my interest) I just use google news and BBC news online.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I do both. Love reading the news online but feel that nothing quite beats the feel of a paper in your hands while you're having a coffee.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I subscribe to the Times - would have been the Guardian had there offer been as good - I pay £10.80 per month, and £1.20 per week to have the papers delivered to my door, if i bought the paper at full price I'd be paying over £9.00 per week for the paper, then delivery on top, and I got a nice £25 M&S gift voucher as a welcome gift ... definately worth it.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I get milk still delivered to my door and that's definitely worth it. I love opening the door in the mornings and finding a pint there. Think I may well throw papers into the equation too. That would be heaven.

SophRogers

Sep 16, 2011
I normally buy newspapers and sometimes read news online... I didn't really think of that it would be cheaper to read it online!

peterf

Sep 20, 2011
I read through the free one, but we don't even seem to get those any more. I find the local paper good for second hand ads, what's on and jobs, but I never buy a national.

Isobel

Nov 23, 2011
london
Always get the guardian, but they have coupons that you buy for a year and it saves you quite alot of money. Most newsagents and supermarkets will accept them, some even allow you to purchase other magazines with them!

shwigityshwonshwei

Jul 10, 2012
The strange thing is that the papers, online news, radio news and tv news always seem to have different content. Crazy as that sounds!

I usually read the Metro on the way in to work...which is depressing as hell. But at least it's free!

Covert_Recon

Aug 30, 2012
I don't mind reading the Metro if I'm in the city and there's one spare.
My mum buys a weekend paper for the free TV mag!

mcmack

Aug 24, 2012
I really like the feel of a turning the pages of a paper. Although I have a kindle, in a world where we constantly stare at screens, I take refuge in old-school comforts.

mcmack

Aug 24, 2012
I really like the feel of turning the pages of a paper. Although I have a kindle, in a world where we constantly stare at screens, I take refuge in old-school comforts. But as very few people seem to agree with me, if the digital switch continues, there might not be hard copies of papers for very much longer.

Rebecca23

Feb 22, 2014
The strange thing is that the papers, online news, radio news and tv news always seem to have different content. Crazy as that sounds!

I usually read the Metro on the way in to work...which is depressing as hell. But at least it's free!

JasonEvans

Jul 21, 2016
London UK
I have not bought a newspaper for the last couple of years. I mean it is kind of pointless given the fact I get all the recent news from Internet. Right?

michelle303

Jul 29, 2016
I don't buy newspapers anymore, it's just much more efficient to have apps/online news. I don't even bother reading the Metro anymore!