Faulty Playstation 3

TW3323R

Sep 3, 2009
Hi All,
My 60 gigabyte Play Station 3 ,which I bought from GAME 2 years ago this month, developed, 2 days ago, the same problem which many people have already stated, where the unit only comes out of stand-by for a brief period (about 3 seconds) before shutting itself off. I am wondering how I would go about getting it replaced because the 60 gigabyte unit is obviously out of warranty, but it is the only one which is backwards compatible. What should I do? Should I attempt to get Sony to fix it under the Sales of Goods Act? Or should I ask GAME to pay the £145 it would cost for Sony to fix it? Any help would be appreciated! :D

TW3323R

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks Tony, I did see that there were a number of similar threads but I was confused as to where I should post my problem. I will use your template letter to create a letter that I can send to GAME, Cheers.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
No problem, dolet us know how you get on would be really interested to know

Tony

TW3323R

Sep 3, 2009
im afraid i cant seem to find the recipt for the ps3 but i still sent a letter to GAME using my reward card details as proof of purchase but ive had no reply please excuse my grammar and spelling because im writing this on my wii

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I'm impressed you've managed to type that on your Wii! Quick tip, if you have a USB keyboard you can plug this into the console to make typing a little easier :)

TW3323R

Sep 3, 2009
I'm impressed you've managed to type that on your Wii! Quick tip, if you have a USB keyboard you can plug this into the console to make typing a little easier :)
Yes well it did take a long time lol and thank you for the tip but I'm afraid I only have a PS/2 one :(

TW3323R

Sep 3, 2009
I have had a reply back from GAME, here is what they said:

Hi ______,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your console. I can confirm that your console was covered against manufacturing defects for one year from the original date of purchase.

As your console is now outside of the warranty period we would recommend that you contact Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony in the first instance, they will be able to provide you with a diagnosis over the phone and dependant on the nature of the fault you may be entitled to a free repair.

However if you would like us to repair your console then please provide us with the following information:-

- Console Serial Number
- Date of Purchase
- Full Contact details, to include name, address, telephone number and email address

Once we have this information we will be able to advise you of the repair process.

Regards,

Sam B

The Team at GAME

What do you think I should do? I don't really want to call Sony because it will probably cost a lot of money for the call but GAME will want money to repair the console won't they? Thanks for your help.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
If you used the template letter then the repair should be free, although you are rights they don't state this. I would provide them the necessary information and ask for clarification that it is indeed a free repair.

Tony

TW3323R

Sep 3, 2009
I replied to GAME with this email and they did in fact repair my PS3 for free, thanks for all your help guys :D

Dear GAME,

After you receive this email containing the details you asked for, regarding the reparation of my
Playstation 3, please could you clarify that the process will be free? Because, as I originally stated you
have a contract of sale with me and the Sale of Goods act 1979 states that, as a Playstation 3 is essentially a high end DVD player, it is unreasonable for a Playstation 3 to last any less than 8 years. My statutory rights state that you shall replace or repair any product free of charge, which includes post and packaging, if the product lasts for an unsatifactory period of time. You even state yourself that any rights you give us when purchasing a product doesn't affect our statutory rights.

My PS3 Serial Number is __________________
The date of purchase was ____________, the exact date was the same date that my reward card was first issued to me.
My contact details are_________________
Thank you for your time, I expect you to reply with an email confirming my free PS3 reparation.

Yours Sincerely,

Cheers Guys :cool:

TW3323R

Sep 3, 2009
Hi again, I'm afraid it isn't good news, my ps3 broke again after 5 days of me receiving it and I must have only played it for a few hours in that time.:( I've contacted Total Console Repair telling them this and now I'm waiting for a reply.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Not having much luck with your PS3. You need to go back to Game as your contract is with them and the repair company's contract is with Game too.

TW3323R

Sep 3, 2009
Do you reckon there's any way that I could persuade GAME to give me a new one? Thanks again for your help. :)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You can ask, but they will probably only give you a voucher towards the cost. They can take into account the usage you have had.

Tony

kec

Jun 1, 2010
Dear Tony,

I'd appreciate your guidance; my PS3 has suffered a complete Blu-Ray / DVD failure and no longer reads any discs.

I purchased it using a credit card from the now-defunct Virgin Megastore chain about 2 years ago so it's no longer covered by the manufacturer's guarantee. I understand from one of the forums that I can put a claim to my cc company but that I need an engineer's report before I do so.

Can you explain what the procedure is for claiming from the cc company and also would you, or anyone else in the forum, be able to suggest an engineer in west London who could provide a satisfactory (to the cc company) report? My local branch of GAME have offered to write a letter saying they confirm the PS3 is not functioning, but I believe what's required is a letter stating that the machine had a factory fault?

Best,
KEC

Chris89

Aug 4, 2010
Tony,

Your probably sick off all these PS3 questions. But heres another one.
I bout my PS3 from Gamestop Jan 2008. It recently broke and im looking at getting it repaired like everone else. I have sadly lost the receipt so am looking at alternative proof of purchase. I have a bank statement showing a withdrawal of £360 from an ATM around the day of the purchase. Would that be considered proof of purchase?
Thanks