Goodmans TV burnt out

Carpybop

Sep 4, 2009
Over a week ago I switched on my goodmans flatscreen TV only to find smoke coming out of the back followed by a burning smell, The TV was purchased less than 4 months ago from comet, It's the second time something has gone wrong with this brand as I had to take the first one back straight away due to a red line down the side of the picture.

It took comet a week to send somebody around to fix the TV, And when they finnally arrived they hadn't got the parts, Meaning I have been without any television for almost 2 weeks now, And there is still no sign of when these parts will arive.

I've complained a number of times to comet (by phone and in person) but they don't seem bothered, Can they get away with this? do I have any rights? or am I stuck with TV I paid good money for that doesn't work

Thanks,
Richard

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Unfortunately Comet are well known for their very poor customer service and apparent ignorance of consumer law.

It worries me that they are prepared to repair a TV that has all but gone up in flames. Try contacting Consumer Direct re the safety of this process.

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
Carpybop,

Comet must be given sufficient time to exact a repair. I think this time varies, but is something along the lines of 28 days. Once they've carried out a repair, it must last a reasonable length of time, otherwise you can insist on further repairs/a replacement after they've had ample chances to fix the issue.

As the TV developed a fault within 6 months, it's up to them to prove that you've not mis-used it, and therefore they can't fob you off quite as easily.

I'd suggest giving them another couple of weeks to attempt to fix it and then start getting on their back about it if they're still not doing much.

'Witch Consumer'... he didn't say it had gone up in flames. It may have just been a capacitor that's gone pop!

Carpybop

Sep 4, 2009
Thanks both,

I have contacted comet repeatadly and yet they still have not got any word back on where the new parts are,

So at the moment I'm still left with no TV whatsoever (I don't have any spare working sets)

Also I'm not an electrician but there was a load of smoke and heat coming from the TV when I turned it on that day, If I had walked out of the room I'm pretty sure it would have caught fire

I'll be glad when I can get all this sorted out, I'll never be buying from comet again

trevpick001

Sep 24, 2009
I have just come across your thread, about 2 hours ago my goodmans tv burnt out to, smoke and a bad smell is now present in my home (it smels like a tire factory here) , it less than 5 months old and was purchased also from comet (Oldbury) i have just phone there technical line and they said some one has to come out to evaluate the problem, well i hope they dont plan plugging it in no way not with my 5 week old daughter here.

if i get any issues from the tv guy on monday i will show him this thread, it has to be a faulty bacth

just to compare my model number is LD3266D

i will bet they are the same model

Carpybop

Sep 4, 2009
Good luck with this, I had over 3 weeks with no TV and no sign of repair before comet eventully decided to offer me a replacement TV,
So I no longer have the original tv to check the batch no. could have been the same though