mobile phone insurance

The Browns

Sep 5, 2009
We bought two mobile phones from our local Nokia shop in February one of which was for our daughter who was thirteen at the time. We were sold insurance policies - one for each phone so the sales person knew one of the policies was for our daughter. Our daughter got her phone wet by accident however the insurance company are refusing to repair it as they say the small print says that as the person was under eighteen she should not have had the phone and therefore it isn't covered. We have tried writing and phoning but to no avail. The Nokia shop tried but were also unsuccessful.

Please can someone advise? Do we have a case against the Nokia shop as they clearly knew at the time who would be using the phone?

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
My 13 year old neice dropped her phone in the sea about two weeks ago, and her phone has been replaced/repaired by the her insurance company. I'm not sure of the full details, but its very similar to your situation.

My guess is if Nokia are saying she should not have had the phone because she was under 18, then the insurance was mis-sold, and you have a right to at least reclaim the cost of the insurance.

I would suggest a little chat with the shop manager, about the fact that they mis-sold you the insurance, and you don't want to involve trading standards or the press, and that you'd like a new phone for your daughter ... (I would insure it in your name next time).

The Browns

Sep 5, 2009
Thank you for your helpful reply. I should have mentioned that the insurance was in my wifes name for both phones but we are going to write to them again and will add in your suggestion about mis-selling the insurance,press and trading standards. The shop manager did try to have the phone replaced but apparently his manager wouldn't let him do it

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
What's the difference between an 18 year old damaging the phone and an under 18 damaging the phone? Does it make a difference if a child breaks your TV?

I really hate how insurance companies have get out clauses for everything.