Faulty Printer

grace125

Sep 7, 2009
Hi there I was wondering if anyone can help me on my query?

2 yrs ago I bought a laptop and printer from a local independant computer store. Although the laptop works fine, the printer broke about 6 months back and when I returned from university in June I took it to the store to see if they could repair it. They later rang me and said they couldn't but I would still be charged £15 service charge when I came to pick it up (the printer is still at the store now).

Question 1) Seeing as I had the printer less than 2yrs am I entitled to a free repair/replacement? Surely a printer is supposed to last longer than 18months before breaking.

Question 2) Do I really have to pay them £15 service charge when they were unable to repair my printer (therefore it is in exactly the same state as it was when I took it in)?

Thanks in advance for your help-I was trying to read through the Sales of Goods Act and the New EU Directive for advice but they are such a minefield! :confused:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Grace,

Welcome to the forum.

There are two separate things here.

1. When you asked them to repair the printer was the agreed remedy for a breach of your statutory rights. If not their normal contractual terms will apply which probably include the £15 service charge. That is an assumption, but it does seem reasonable to me.

2. The durability of the product depends on price paid and the nature of the goods. If it were a £1000 laser jet then I would expect it to last six months, but if it were a £30 ink jet then I wouldn't. These are just examples to make the point. So I am afraid the answer is - it depends.

This will be of interest:

How long can you expect something to last? | Consumer Information
http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/other-goods-services/1972-how-long-should-last.html#post3815

The EU Directive is a red herring:

Find out about the EU directive 2 year warranty | Consumer Information

For info on the Sale of Goods see below:

HTH

Tony