Returns and Refunds - A Shop Perspective

psychopixi

Sep 8, 2009
Hi,

I work in a shop whose refund policy has recently changed, and HO have not been clear in communicating exactly how we are to deal with faulty returns now.

I was hoping someone here could clarify a few points for me?

Firstly, if a customer wishes to return a faulty item, do they have to have a proof of purchase? I have had customers quoting 'sale of goods act' to me, but as far as I'm aware, the burden of responsibility is on them to prove they a) bought it within the past six months and b) bought it from our company (not a different company who buys from us and sells on, or an ebay sale). Am I right?

Secondly, I've read that 'proof of purchase' can be a bank statement instead of a receipt. Given that we sell many items at the same price, and a customer may buy more than one item in a transaction, am I allowed to refuse a return with a bank statement as proof of purchase as there is no way for me to determine that the charge on the statement was for the particular item the customer wishes to return?

Thank you in advance for your help!

- Pixi

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
A great post Pixi! As someone that has worked in retail and understand the need to have a fairly decent understanding of consumer law, I applaud your efforts to understand the law better.

Proof of purchase can be many things, which as you show could be a bank statement. Obviously it isn't unusual for people to purchase more than one thing in one transaction. However, I do know that when I worked for Tesco we had the ability to search transactions.

So if, for example, someone told us that they purchased something on August 1st, we were able to search (using information such as their bank card details) the transaction and pull it up. There should be a record somewhere, and if a company values service they should attempt to find the transaction in my opinion. Even if you on the shop floor don't have access (which I wouldn't expect you to) someone a little higher up should.

Here is what this site says about the issue here:

Proof of purchase?

Shops will often tell you they will only give a refund on production of proof of purchase. Don’t be mislead into thinking this must be a till receipt. It can be a bank or credit card statement, although you may run into difficulties if it is for a different amount than that of the item you are trying to return.

If the item is damaged, the shop cannot say they will only refund on the basis of a till receipt. However you must have proof of purchase of some kind – particularly if it was bought recently and you want to show that the damage wasn’t caused by continued use or wear and tear over time.

psychopixi

Sep 8, 2009
Thank you for your quick response!

Proof of purchase can be many things, which as you show could be a bank statement. Obviously it isn't unusual for people to purchase more than one thing in one transaction. However, I do know that when I worked for Tesco we had the ability to search transactions.
I hadn't thought of this, but you're right - I'm sure there is a way to cross reference on the back office computer what was bought by a customer with a particular card on a particular date. Thank you for solving this problem for me!

I think this will partly solve my first problem as well - if a customer has no proof of purchase, but paid by card and remembers roughly when they bought the item, we could also try and find the transaction on the computer, couldn't we?

I assume then that for a faulty item with no proof of purchase, and a cash transaction, there really isn't anything I can do for the customer?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
You could definitely find information even with sketchy details, it would just involve a bit of fun detective work. Most customers (especially if they're genuine) would understand that you would need to do some digging so would understand you might not be able to give them an answer that second and may have to come back.

As for cash purchases, that's where a lot of "benefit of the doubt" comes into it. If it's an own-brand item it could be relatively obvious to guess they did get it from your store.

However, you obviously have to be wary that some people do shoplift and return items to get the cash. This is a judgement call that should really be made by a manager in my opinion. However, most genuine customers will want the item repaired or replaced, not refunded. In my experience most shoplifters will just say "it wasn't wanted" or "it was a present and I don't like it". Getting them to fill their details out and keeping an eye out for "the usual suspects" should also keep a lid on this sort of activity.

In short, most genuine people just want something rectified. They won't come in threatening legal action straight away, or demanding their money back. They'll just want their purchase fixed, and it's with these people that you can probably justify some discretion.

And look at it this way, if you solve their problem they'll be more likely to return in the future!

psychopixi

Sep 8, 2009
Thanks again Chutzpah!

My problem isn't so much with shoplifters, as with people buying our products from other stores; there are two other businesses in the area who buy from our company, but sell at their own prices. In the past we've experienced people buying from them, and then coming to us for a refund as a way to make a quick fiver (or more if the other store has a promotion on).

Additionally, in the past we operated a no time limit returns policy - no receipt needed, and it didn't matter how long the customer had had the item. This led to a few people returning items which had obviously been 'well loved' for several years before breaking down due to fair wear and tear.

With the current economic situation, I suppose HO feel they need to tighten the strings a bit. It's the few who have spoilt things for the many, by taking advantage of a policy that I think was designed to give our customers peace of mind and faith in the quality of our products.

I do pride myself on giving a high level of customer service, but I now feel that I'm either risking positive relations with our customers, or possibly getting in trouble with HO as I don't know exactly where I stand. :(

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Well, don't forget that refunds are very much at your discretion. The law states that you do not have to refund anyone just because they "changed their mind", and ignore anyone that quotes the sales of goods act at you for this.

As long as you deal fairly and legally with them you shouldn't risk too many positive relations - those who give you grief for stuff that is beyond the law anyway are customers you'll never please anyway.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
On the subject of proof of purchase as it is a civil matter 'balance of probability' is all that is required rather than 'beyond reasonable doubt' as in criminal cases. This assumes that it goes to court, but it means that absolutely anything could be used as proof of purchase - Bank statement, stamped warranty card, loyalty scheme records etc.

Anyway, great post. I will sticky it.

Tony

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
I assume then that for a faulty item with no proof of purchase, and a cash transaction, there really isn't anything I can do for the customer?
Unless they can remember when they came in and it was recently enough to still be on your CCTV tapes/drives, no, I don't think there's much you can do for them.

However, goodwill is always worth considering not just because it helps keep regular customers happy but also because people do talk about this stuff and it does enhance the reputation of the shop.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
As long as you deal fairly and legally with them you shouldn't risk too many positive relations - those who give you grief for stuff that is beyond the law anyway are customers you'll never please anyway.

Exactly, some customers are no great loss if you never see them again. I remember I was working a late shift in the shop I used to work at and a guy came in, about 50 years old, to complain about some cheese. It was a bit mouldy so I said fair enough and offered him a replacement or a refund. He got pretty angry and started banging on about trading standards and that I should check all the other pieces of cheese. I pointed out that the cheese was in a coloured packet that you couldn't see through, so the only way to check them would be to open them, rendering them illegal to sell, and that he was the only person who'd had a problem with that item so it was likely a one-off. I offered him his refund again, he wandered off down the shop. A couple of minutes later he turns up with his mouldy cheese and a pack of super-expensive premium ham that was about twice the price. I tried to explain to him that I could refund his money but I couldn't just give away stock. He started blathering about trading standards again and stormed out, taking his cheese but leaving his refund.

:confused:

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I used to have that when I did customer services at Tesco - people wandering off and picking up items that they believed was adequate 'compensation' for the horrific misdeameanour of some fresh food going off.

Nice to see it didn't just happen to me!

Gab

May 27, 2011
Hi!
I'am new here please someone help.

Hi all I just had a few bad experience with dell could someone tell me how long the seller able to claim back the replaced goods.In my case dell replaced me a faulty laptop and did not claimed the old then.Now i got problem again and they refuse the repair because they want the old laptop back since already 6 months passed by now.
when they replaced the product for me i call them 4 times about the pickup then no one get back to me with a date.The problem is i dont have the old product anymore it was dead so i discarded it after 4 months.

thanks

Halena51

Jun 20, 2012
Replacement TV. The screen was all cracked, now I waited 4 weeks for the delivery. I still have the TV, am waiting for the couriers to contact me to arrange a delivery. We all work, surprise. The couriers are terrible, when they delivered the TV they called 15 minutes to let us know they were on their way. We were all at work, card through door, tried to contact them, could not get through for over 1 hour. TV was eventually delivered on Friday. Littlewoods sent me a text saying that they had returned my payment to my card. Called them and was told the text was a mistake. Have been with them for over 30 years, am really disappointed with them.

I work in a Call Centre and if I treated customers like that, I would be facing a disclipinary.

kobi

Sep 8, 2012
hi so to just jump in but i am hoping to get this matter dealt with quickly, i recently bought a E-cigarette which i soon after found out had been mis sold/ represented. on trying to return the product i was told that i couldn't for hygiene reasons. the only part to i would consider a possible hygiene risk is the mouth piece which is removable and replaceable. should i still be entitled to a refund or replacement. i was also told that had i returned it un-used they would have replaced it but the sales person who sold it me unpacked it set it up and got me to use the product before i left.

charls

Nov 17, 2012
cambridgeshire
Sounds like a nut nut ha ha mmm think he just wanted some nice ham that he could not afford and thought threats would get what he wanted....

stable

Feb 13, 2016
Exactly, some customers are no great loss if you never see them again. I remember I was working a late shift in the shop I used to work at and a guy came in, about 50 years old, to complain about some cheese. It was a bit mouldy so I said fair enough and offered him a replacement or a refund. He got pretty angry and started banging on about trading standards and that I should check all the other pieces of cheese. I pointed out that the cheese was in a coloured packet that you couldn't see through, so the only way to check them would be to open them, rendering them illegal to sell, and that he was the only person who'd had a problem with that item so it was likely a one-off. I offered him his refund again, he wandered off down the shop. A couple of minutes later he turns up with his mouldy cheese and a pack of super-expensive premium ham that was about twice the price. I tried to explain to him that I could refund his money but I couldn't just give away stock. He started blathering about trading standards again and stormed out, taking his cheese but leaving his refund.

stable

Feb 13, 2016
hi so to just jump in but i am hoping to get this matter dealt with quickly, i recently bought a E-cigarette which i soon after found out had been mis sold/ represented. on trying to return the product i was told that i couldn't for hygiene reasons. the only part to i would consider a possible hygiene risk is the mouth piece which is removable and replaceable. should i still be entitled to a refund or replacement. i was also told that had i returned it un-used they would have replaced it but the sales person who sold it me unpacked it set it up and got me to use the product before i left.

kambohg

Nov 9, 2017
pixelshoes.co.uk
people think trading stadrads peoples are superhumen they will just listen to him and done justice on the spot
huh was facing same prob with me i sold a scard to customer she came back after long time i was using my headphone and she came to me and she touch my headphones and remove it very badly i asked her why u did that you have no right to phsicl with me but she said i yes i have i bought this scarf from you and want to change but she runied my mode then i asked her for recipet :p which she dint have i was aware of it i asked her did you have your recipet with you she said u dint give me i asked her its ur right you have to take it you have to ask me for recipet she said this and that at the end her friend said sorry and but she was still showing me attitude and said i am going to complint u mall and trading stadard she bring gurd and he asked me whats the matter mate i said she want change and refund but she havent any proof of purchase so he asked her and she said no i dnt he dint give me i said she dint ask me so i am not allowed to change her scarf without recipet so he asked her please leave :p