Local shops should offer healthy options for kids, says SCC

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
The Scottish Consumer Council has issued a report which finds that lots of schoolkids still buy their lunch outside school rather than eating school dinners, and that for many of these kids, crisps and chips are some of their most common choices. They are calling on local shops near schools to start selling healthy options, so that kids can eat a healthy diet even if they don't stay in school for lunch.

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
This is really necessary.

I've just been on a fairly serious diet and the one thing i found most annoying was simply not being able to eat on the go - there was barely anywhere I could eat.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I must say, I question that it would actually work. If children are going to eat out of school, then stocking healthier options at the shops would be pointless, as most are not going to choose them anyway, over chocolate and crisps. While we may kid ourselves that by giving children the option to eat healthier items (which I think most shops do, at least, try to nowadays), they will become healthier, it is just not the case. They will more often than not choose what they like and what they are used to, not what is good for them.

If you want children to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables in school, then you have to give it to them freely. I know in Primary schools, fruit is given daily, but this has to be carried through into secondary education, otherwise the temptation of the sweet shop or chippy is just too much.

Ian

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I agree with Ian my kids will always choose sweets, crisps and cakes before fruit unless there is an adult there who can intervene. And if there is someone there to guide their choice there is often no other option. The other problem is that when there is an option it is often costly e.g. a fruit smoothies instead of a can of Coke.