Refunds - can anyone help me please?

Lastic

Sep 9, 2009
Hello, I'm new to this forum so v sorry if this is not the way to ask...
I bought a cotton wax jacket in April (2009) and have worn it less than 10 times, I noticed the other day that a small hole had appeared on the arm and also worn patches (nearly holes) in several areas - and another hole starting on the opposite arm in a similar place. I took the jacket back to the shop with my receipt. They informed me they would have to send it back to the distributor in London for him to 'assess' it and the shop owner marked my receipt as sending it for investigation. The owner said it could take upto 3-4 wks for a reply. The jacket cost £340 and i bought it on a Mastercard. I did ask for a refund but she said she couldn't give me one untill she had the distributor check it? Is this correct? She half indicated that I could have damaged it - however I know i haven't and the faulty places are areas where it would be difficult to scuff or damage. Please could you help me as I'm unsure as to what my rights are. Many thanks - and sorry for the long story!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome,

When it is less than six months since purchase they need to prove that it wasn't faulty when you bought. This takes into price paid and the nature of the goods, as you paid a lot for this jacket and I guess it is from a quality retailer I would assume they would give you a new one. It is not unreasonable for them to send it away as they need to protect themselves from unscrupulous consumers, although 3-4 weeks sounds like a long time. Let see what their response is.

These will be of interest:
Returning Faulty or Damaged Goods | Consumer Information
Consumer rights when buying clothing and footwear | Consumer Information

Tony

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
I had similar experiences with a pair of (relatively) luxury walking boots. As Tony says, because you paid a lot for the coat it should be expected to last longer than this so they should furnish you with at least a replacement.

3/4 weeks is longer than I had to wait though, so I can understand your frustration. Hope it works out well for you.