The Bank of England are expected to keep interest rates on hold today

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
They think it's all over! But is it?

A raft of good news this week suggests the UK economy has come storming back in the second half of the year, with Britain on the verge of exiting the downturn.

But it ain't over till the fat lady sings and analysts are warning that a resurgent recession - or a stagnating economy - might derail any post-slump victory celebration.

Full article: Sky News Money Panel Says Bank Of England Should Keep September Interest Rate At Historic Low Level | Business | Sky News (external link)

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
Good cop, bad cop (mostly good cop this week).

Any recovery will be short-term and prone to exactly the same sort of problems that led to this recession unless we drastically reform how we create, lend, borrow and invest money.

One good bit of news I've seen recently was the result of the Japanese election. The liberals were thrown out and the democrats won by a landslide, and from a financial journalist contact I have over there he says the atmosphere is very positive. Given how interconnected the Japanese economy is with the American, and the American is with ours, this could have a beneficial knock-on effect for the UK. Let's hope so, anyway.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Still waiting ... Honestly, there's no sign of it unless you mean less frenzied press reporting. But in terms of employment, building, new infrastructure, positive investment in growth - nope, it's not there yet! But if anyone out there has reason to belive things are on the up then please let me know. I could do with some good news.