Battling with simplyelectronics - pls help!

RMS

Sep 10, 2009
Hi! I've been browsing this excellent site to try to find an answer, but can't quite get a parallel. I'd SO love some advice. I bought a Canon A1100 from simplyelectronics.net, delivered 05.08.09. I wanted a pocket camera to take on walks to record insects for later identification, and chose the Canon because it has a Viewfinder (OVF) which my eyesight needs, as well as an LCD display.

After not many days of learning how to use the camera I discovered that the Viewfinder is so misaligned that, when shooting MACRO close-ups, the insect centred in frame using the Viewfinder ends up right at the edge of shot, or even out of shot, when the pictures are reviewed at home. Subsequent surfing online now reveals that Canon Viewfinders are often misaligned, with many people accepting they’ll just have to use the LCD instead.

I returned the camera within 14 days stating the problem. Since then, in three weeks’ of chasing them, simplyelectronics.net have emailed back twice telling me there is no problem with the focus on the camera. As the problem has nothing to do with focus I am getting very frustrated with them. For me, the combination of Viewfinder and MACRO was the purpose of the camera, and it is not fit for this. If they next respond that for MACRO shots they advise using the LCD, or that the Viewfinder is only a guide, or within the manufacturer’s tolerances, or some such, what can I do next, please?

Honestbob

Sep 19, 2010
Hi, did you get this resolved, I'm having a similar problem with Simply Electronics. I bought a £2000 Panasonic projector in Apr which developed a fault on day 1(kept switching itself to standby). They said I had to return it for assessment, which I did. 6 weeks later they said there was nothing wrong it and were sending it back to me. I said I would have it back on condition that if there was a re-occurrence of the fault they would give me a full refund + the cost of shipping it back to them twice, they agreed. After receiving it and setting up for a second time it failed within 30 mins, and duly went back on 18th June.
To cut a long story short I've been fobbed off ever since, things like "it works OK using VGA, why not use that?". Needless to say I haven't received my refund, and they have the projector(is that a police matter?). On 9th Sept I threatened to get my solicitors involved but had no response from Simply Electronics.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.